Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally needed to start doing my own service. I bought a Fram XG16 filter, and then found out it's not the correct one (after I drained the oil). The Fram filter they now recommend is a special order at Autozone. So I ordered some VW filters from Drew. However they are a bit shorter and have a different part number revision. The filter the dealer put on is a 078-115-561-D, the filter from Drew has a different hole pattern, and is much shorter (just a hair larger then the fram, around an inch smaller then the VW dealer filter. Drews part number is 078-115-561-J. So are these ok? I have a 2001.5 V6.

Thanks - John

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The fram filter you need is a PH16. I have it on my car, and it fits fine. I went to pep boys first (they are right down the street) but they were out of stock on it, so I had to go to autozone, and they had it for 3-4 bucks. Same car, same engine, so the filter is the same as far as I know :wink:

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Universal consensus on this board is stay away from Fram :thumbdow: .

If you want a bigger oil filter (about 50% larger than OE), use PureOne # PL30001. I am currently using this one (5 oil changes & 25K+ miles with good result).

If you want the biggest filter that will fit our vehicle, use the "big kahuna" Napa # 1333 or Wix # 51333. This filter is about a full quart of oil larger in capacity than OE. I am going to use this big kahuna on my next oil change.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71228&highlight=kahuna

Good luck

·
Registered
193 Posts
filter

I have a 2001 v-6, & I've been using the STP S-16 for two oil changes with no problem.

an internet study of oil filters advised to avoid bosch, fram, quaker state, & penzoil oil filters.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
US manufactured Bosch is bad....German Bosch is good...that's what i remember as the jist of what people say. You'll have to do some more searches for the details.

·
Registered
853 Posts
vuvision said:

Fram makes several filter models. The Extra Guard's multi-pass efficiency is listed as 94%, not too impressive. However they do make other models which are rated much higher. The risk with Fram filters lies in the process they use to cut the mounting threads. They are straight cut - allowing sliver's of metal to remain behind. A filter with rolled threads is less likely to have residue in the thread area as it is cleaned out in the machining process.

It's a good habit to always clean out the threads with a clean rag before you install the filter. You'd be surprised what junk you'll find there.

A premium filter will have synthetic filtering media. For filtration efficiency this is superior to paper.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
TurboJim said:
vuvision said:

Fram makes several filter models. The Extra Guard's multi-pass efficiency is listed as 94%, not too impressive. However they do make other models which are rated much higher. The risk with Fram filters lies in the process they use to cut the mounting threads. They are straight cut - allowing sliver's of metal to remain behind. A filter with rolled threads is less likely to have residue in the thread area as it is cleaned out in the machining process.

It's a good habit to always clean out the threads with a clean rag before you install the filter. You'd be surprised what junk you'll find there.

A premium filter will have synthetic filtering media. For filtration efficiency this is superior to paper.
Good explanation, thanks. :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts