Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at work has a 2006 Jetta and wanted guidance on buying oil filters. After some searching, it looks like the 2.0T in the Jetta and Passat uses the same filter cartridge as the 2.5L (what my coworker has).

So what is the deal with the filter cartridge price of ~$11?

I can get the oversize OEM oil filter for my 1.8T for around $4.60/filter and it has a steel case surrounding it. Am I just looking in the wrong place or does this thing cost ~$11? Seems odd that there is less material involved but a much higher price.

I did ask him, but what is the OCI on the newer VWs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
... oci is 5k, 10k, then every 10k thereafter for the 2.0t
That figure should be adjusted downward for stop-and-go and/or short-trip driving. I'll bet there is fine print somewhere in the owner's manual to that effect.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
That figure should be adjusted downward for stop-and-go and/or short-trip driving. I'll bet there is fine print somewhere in the owner's manual to that effect.
of course. all rated oci's in the manual are for "normal" driving. harsh driving conditions need to be adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You are correct that filter pricing is all over the place. The big 1.8T filter (which has been used for YEARS on VW diesel - it may be cheap because it is a) older and b) they have to make a LOT of them worldwide for all the diesels) is about $5. The filter for the 2.8l V6 is $10-$12, which is in the same ballpark as the new 2.0 filter. So it kind of makes sense....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone, I think the chairman of some big company like Occidental Petroleum, is supposed to have said "The price of an item is exactly what it will fetch." This, apart from Adam Smith's almost poetic discussion of an "invisible hand" in Wealth of Nations, is a concise way of stating what happens when a new item comes on the market before any competing suppliers begin to manufacture it. Right now, there is only VW (and, as I understand it, Mann) supplying this filter. The more suppliers come on line, the more competition, the lower the price. Res ipse loquitur.

·
Registered
56 Posts
of course. all rated oci's in the manual are for "normal" driving. harsh driving conditions need to be adjusted accordingly.
Well, there's nothing in the manual about harsh/normal conditions. This is very typical of vehicles that require synthetic oil. No such distinction is made because the oil holds up very well in high temperatures and degradation is minimal. Therefore, the same should apply to those that drive highway or stop-and-go. The initial shorter intervals are due to the filter getting worn out or clogged because the engine is new and releases more particles in its early life. It has nothing to do with the oil necessarily degrading. After the first break-in period, the engine is releasing (or wearing out) particles normally and the 10K interval should be sufficient.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Right now, there is only VW (and, as I understand it, Mann) supplying this filter. The more suppliers come on line, the more competition, the lower the price. Res ipse loquitur.
FRAM also makes a filter for the 2.0T which you can get at AutoZone. However, it is still pricey.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Well, there's nothing in the manual about harsh/normal conditions. This is very typical of vehicles that require synthetic oil. No such distinction is made because the oil holds up very well in high temperatures and degradation is minimal. Therefore, the same should apply to those that drive highway or stop-and-go. The initial shorter intervals are due to the filter getting worn out or clogged because the engine is new and releases more particles in its early life. It has nothing to do with the oil necessarily degrading. After the first break-in period, the engine is releasing (or wearing out) particles normally and the 10K interval should be sufficient.
i just checked my 07 gti manual (same engine in the b6 passat 2.0t), and this is what it says:

"Sometimes, engine oil should be changed more often than specified for normal use. Change oil more often if you often drive short distances, in dusty areas or in stop-and-go traffic conditions or when you use your vehicle where temperatures stay below freezing point for long periods"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts