Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read everything I can find on the forum here about oil and still have a few questions.

I went to my dealer to pick up an oil filter, but they were out of stock. Probably not a bad thing since they wanted $15 for the thing. Would a Bosch or K&N work or should I stick with an OEM from ECS?

As for oil, I can find Mobil1 0-40 and Castrol 5-50 but not any 5-40. I am still looking but I am not sure I want to pay to have Pentosin shipped. What would you go with?

This is for a 2000 V6 in Utah with 48K...

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yes, a Bosch oil filter would work well. You can also order replacement OEM Mann, Mahgle or Bosch filters from GermanAutoParts.com for $9.00US. Now as far as 5W-40 oil, does your V6 need it? I can see if it's a 1.8T or W8, but what oil has the dealership been using? Are you experiencing any consumption issues? I ran 10W-30 Synthetic in my V6 without any issues..

As stated in a previous post, Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 is available at any NAPA Autoparts store. I think the part number is 996 or 966, someone throw a John Stockton to our brother in Utah.

I hope this helps...

Peace,

Swami

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Mobil 1 0w-40 (meets all of vw requirements - even says so on the bottle - and the 0w low temp viscosity can only help, especially in colder climates) and bosch filter.

EDIT: just saw the V6 part. I'm with swami - not sure you need 5w(0w)-40

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought the car used so I am not sure what the dealer has been using. My manual recommends 5-40 but I haven't noticed any consumption as of yet. It was serviced by a small dealer at a Jiffy Lube before I picked it up but I'm sure it just has some generic dino juice in there now.

At this point I am just trying to make an educated move that will keep things running as good as possible.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
mardigan said:
I just bought the car used so I am not sure what the dealer has been using. My manual recommends 5-40 but I haven't noticed any consumption as of yet. It was serviced by a small dealer at a Jiffy Lube before I picked it up but I'm sure it just has some generic dino juice in there now.

At this point I am just trying to make an educated move that will keep things running as good as possible.

Jeff
well, if it say 5w-40 then use it (or approved Mobil 1 0w-40 :thumbup: )

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The manual on my 99 V6 recommends 5W-40 as well and to avoid 5W-30 unless topping off. I normally opt for Mobil1 0W-40 or Valvoline Synpower 5W-40.

Most importantly, make sure whatever you use meets the spec requirements listed in the manual along with the climate your car will be operating in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is a high price for a filter. I pay $9.00Can at a dealer for VW filter. Try another dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts