Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another really quick question. What size is the nut that holds the oil cooler on? I know it is pretty big, but the biggest metric socket I have is 18MM and it looks to be larger than that. I would like to only have to buy one socket rather than a whole set. Thanks. (2002 GLS)

·
Registered
374 Posts
You need a 27mm socket. 1-1/16" socket might work too but it's a tad smaller than 27mm. It's gotta be a deep well socket. A regular/short socket won't work. It wouldn't hurt to have a long wobble extension either -- it's a tough spot to reach with a socket and socket wrench.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
You need a 27mm socket. 1-1/16" socket might work too but it's a tad smaller than 27mm. It's gotta be a deep well socket. A regular/short socket won't work. It wouldn't hurt to have a long wobble extension either -- it's a tough spot to reach with a socket and socket wrench.

:), I wondered why I had that lone 27 mm long reach socket in the bottom of my tool box.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,431 Posts
I just helped my son with his on his B6 2002 A4 1.8T AMB, after having done the one on the Passat last year, and my trusty old SAE 1/2" drive standard (not deep) socket set again came in very handy. 17/16" works just fine indeed -- at a mere 12um undersized, it is as good as the usual usual metric substitutions of 5/16", 7/16", 5/8", and 3/4" (8, 11, 16, and 19mm, respectively). Tool access was not too bad -- I think we used my 1/2-3/8 reducer and my folding Husky 3/8" ratchet drive.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Just a FYI; that nut does not do much except keep the heat exchanger AKA oil cooler in place while you install the filter. Do not torque that nut excessively; if it loosened, there would be no problem, but over-tight could crack the "cooler".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts