Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a B5 with about 85,000 miles on it, and recently, after noticing a day or two of brown puddles under the car, the computer displayed "STOP!" and then instructed me to check the coolant. I opened up the coolant cap, and a thick brownish mix (read: lots of oil and not much coolant) bubbled out.

Service shop says it's the oil cooler, and they've flushed it 3 times, with the expectation that I should visit again in another month to flush out some more.

How much is reasonable to expect to pay for this service, parts and labor? How many times should the system be flushed, assuming some pretty nasty mixing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
How is flushing it going to stop the stuff from getting mixed together in the cooler in the first place?

Uhh...how much should we be watching out for this little issue? :nervous:

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is pretty simple to fix (happened to me on my A4)

Remove the oil filter, unscrew a nut that holds the oil filter drive or shaft (have no idea how to call it) and you are done.
You can ether replace the oil cooler, or simply connect the hose coming from coolant system bypassing the oil cooler.

:poke:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would get your oil tested too and change it right away. If oil can get in the coolant, maybe coolant will be in the oil. The oil test can tell you if any got in or not; and 'not' would be comforting to know!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're definitely replacing the oil cooler; they say that's where the mixing problem began to occur. They flush the system (I'm not sure if that's before or replacing the cooler, or both) several times, and replace the cooler.

I tell you, this came out of nowhere, and there were NO indications from ride/performance/noises that the oil/coolant were mixing, so it's hard to say if the cooler failed suddenly, or gradually. Hoping someone who's had this problem before has something to say about it.

·
Registered
25,993 Posts
With any luck,it was only oil in the coolant and not coolant in the oil. If coolant
got in the oil,your engine/turbo is toast. Since the oil pressure is higher,you
might get lucky. The only problem is that oil pressure drops when the car is
shut down and coolant pressure lasts for a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil leaking into coolant - anyone else had this problem?

It looks like it was oil getting into the coolant, so it ended up being about $500 for parts+labor to replace the oil cooler and thermostat, plus a few miscellaneous parts. 3-4 flushes later, and a bench test on the cooler to be sure it was the leak (a hairline crack, it turned out), and it seems good to go.

Still, I'd like to hear from anyone else who's had this problem and fixed it to talk about long-term effects. Anything to watch for? Expectations of future problems?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
umm yeah the same thing kinda happened to me all i did was flush the system out and didnt start my car didnt seem to hve much problems

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same problem

I am having this same problem and the shop said it is not the oil cooler leaking.
He has done some other testing and had yet to find the problem.
I hope I am not being bent over a barrell because he is spending all this time on diagnosing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
rdy357
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing