Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done the 5k and 10k oil change @ the dealer, next one is @ 20k

does anyone feel thats too long?

can i change my own oil without voiding warranty?

i forget the grade of oil used but i had a hard time finding one in retail stores, what should i use?

how about filters?

i was looking to use either royal purple or amsoil... any other brand i should consider? i want the best

thanks!

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I would assume you have to use a vw502.00 approved oil, I would check your owners manual, then look at the bottle of oil, it will say on the back weather it is vw502.00 approved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You need to use the correct oil (vw502.00 approved) and keep your sales slips for oil and filters to show the dealer if there are any issues.

I change my oil and filter every 5K. Lots of stop-and-go on the weekdays and long trips on the weekends.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to use the correct oil (vw502.00 approved) and keep your sales slips for oil and filters to show the dealer if there are any issues.

I change my oil and filter every 5K. Lots of stop-and-go on the weekdays and long trips on the weekends.
what oil do you use? (grade and brand?)

what oil filter?

where do you buy em?

·
Registered
150 Posts
From my MSWord Logfile:

18DEC2006 - I bought 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil with SuperSyn Technology, SAE 0W-40, API SM,SL/CF, VW 502.00/505.00/503.01 from the local Advance Auto Parts store for $31.75.

I ordered 3 Oil Filters ($13.00 ea.) and 3 Air Filters ($24.00 ea.) from the following (Shipping was free):

Glenn Sager - Sales Advisor
Tel. 888 280-7799 (ext.240)
www.pelicanparts.com

Mann Engine Oil Filter Kit P/N: 06D-115-562 (with O-Ring Seal)
Mahle Engine Air Filter P/N: 06F-133-843A
-----------------------------------
I change my Engine Oil & Oil Filter @5K Mile intervals. I use the Matra T40057 Oil Filter Drain Adapter from Samstag Sales (http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm#oil).

I change my Engine Air Filter @10K Mile intervals.

I rotate my Tires @10K Mile intervals. During Tire rotation I inspect the F/R Brake Pads and the front CV-Joint Boots for cracks.

I shake the dust/debri out of the Cabin Air Filter twice a year and plan to replace it at 2-year intervals.
-----------------------------------

Our '07 VW Passat 2.0T FSI Variant has 22K Miles now and doesn't burn any oil. It gets 31.5 MPG on the highway and 25-26 MPG in town.

It's been just GREAT!:thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been using 5-30 Mobile 1 without a problem
Don't tell that to VW--perfect excuse to deny a warranty claim on the engine. Mobil 1 5-W30 is not approved for any B6 engines in the US.

Until my warranty has run out, I'll get it changed at the dealership to avoid any warranty issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts