Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being very (emphasis on very) low on cash I have not been looking forward to paying for my oil change. Its been 6000 miles now though so it really needs to be done. Currently im running 5w-30, but amazingly enough i found 4 quarts of sealed Mobil 10w-30 in my garage. Will this work in a V6? And does the v6 need 5.7 quarts? Also, should i change the oil filter as well? It was changed furing my last change.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
you ought to change your oil filter with every oil change.
I wouldn't run 10w-30 oil. check your owner's manual.
it needs at least 5.7 qts.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
filter and oil bolth need to be changed.
V6 takes 6.5 qts when changing bolth, i did mine yesterday.
10 30 will be ok, in warmer temps, but get it out before winter.
you can do it yourself.
drop the lower engine cover, flathead screwdriver & 1 10mm nut up front.
19mm wrench for the drain plug.
filter wrench, unless you can twist it off by hand.
new filter, refill and done.
put the oil fill cap on before you start it.
make sure you check for leaks and then put belly pan back on.
have a friend buy u a beer and relax, thats it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-I live in chicago and since its april we occasionally will dip into the 40s probably for the next month or so. Will this damage the engine?
-Its been my expierence that oil filters are normally on pretty tight. How much is an oil filter wrench needed and how much are they?
-How much will the filter cost and can I just get it from AutoZone or dealership?
What do I do with the old oil?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Although not as critical in the V6 as the 1.8t, you should use VW spec. 502.00 oil. Also, if you are not using synthetic then 6k miles is a long time on dino especially if the miles are not highway miles. You should change the filter also and with filter change you will need 6.5 quarts of oil. It's your call as to whether you want to use the 4 quarts of Mobil 10W30 if it doesn't meet the 502.00 spec.

·
27,881 Posts
-I live in chicago and since its april we occasionally will dip into the 40s probably for the next month or so. Will this damage the engine?
-Its been my expierence that oil filters are normally on pretty tight. How much is an oil filter wrench needed and how much are they?
-How much will the filter cost and can I just get it from AutoZone or dealership?
What do I do with the old oil?
1. probably not, but I wouldn't go the cheap route.
2. an oil filter wrench is a good investment, one you will have for a long time. pay what you think is a good investment. less than $20 will get you a good one.
3. an oil filter will cost around $5 to $7, depending, and you can get it at your local autozone. I buy the Bosch filters.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Jay, Changing the oil and oil filter in an automatic V6 2002 Passat is really EASY. The 1st time may take more time and thought,but it is rewally a cinch. There are great threads on DIY oil chngesand things to buy here or at Vortex. I did mine yesterday in about 45 minutes or so. I just changed to 0W40 Mobil Synthetic from 5W30 Castrol Dyno. I think regular and timely oil changes are VERY important .

·
27,881 Posts
Jay, Changing the oil and oil filter in an automatic V6 2002 Passat is really EASY. The 1st time may take more time and thought,but it is rewally a cinch. There are great threads on DIY oil chngesand things to buy here or at Vortex. I did mine yesterday in about 45 minutes or so. I just changed to 0W40 Mobil Synthetic from 5W30 Castrol Dyno. I think regular and timely oil changes are VERY important .
no kidding.

I've been changing my own oil for more than 30 years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a question about high millage and types of oil (cause we're on the subject; maybe this should be a new thread... humm?)
I have a 152K on the engine and was wondering if going over to synthetic would be okay... i looked at bob is the oil guy and didnt see to much on the subject. Wondering if anyone here had an idea.

Ps. Sorry for piggybacking, let me know if i need to start a new thread.

Thanks,
Chris

·
27,881 Posts
nope. I disagree; as long as it meets VW's spec, it should be ok.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Being very (emphasis on very) low on cash I have not been looking forward to paying for my oil change. Its been 6000 miles now though so it really needs to be done. Currently im running 5w-30, but amazingly enough i found 4 quarts of sealed Mobil 10w-30 in my garage. Will this work in a V6? And does the v6 need 5.7 quarts? Also, should i change the oil filter as well? It was changed furing my last change.
Depends on how long it's been sitting in your garage. Dino oils, even in sealed containers, can form wax, especially in colder climates. If it has only been there a year or two, I'd think it's ok. If it's older than 3 years, I might just pitch it.

Always change the filter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts