Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am a new Passat owner and decided it would probably be wise to get my oil changed. Took it to the local VW dealership and had the full synthetic oil change done for 69.99. Is this necessary and is this how much it usually costs? The guy there told me that since it is a turbo engine it requires the synthetic oil. I am no genius when it comes to cars but 69.99 seems pretty damn pricey for an oil change. I was also curious if I need to have anything done @ the 100,000 mile point. My Passat is a few thousand miles shy of that. Wondering if anything needs to be done @ that point. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
It requires VW spec 502.00 oil. I believe the only oils that currently meet the spec. are synthetic at about $6 per quart. Search here and you will find a list of such oil or go to VW's web site (I believe in the technical area). DIY and you can save a few $. Hopefully your timing belt / tensioner has been done already if not do it now. If you have a tiptronic, you might consider changing the ATF and filter. You can also look on VW site and find the recommended maintenance for your car.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I buy my oil and filter and then pay the local shop $12 to change it. I used to do it myself, but for $12 i'll let someone else get dirty. I buy the large 4.75 qt container of Mobil 1 at walmart for about $22. Walmart is the only place i have come across that sells the large mobil 1. Basically doing it this was with filter, you can get it done for under $40.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Had the T-Belt and tensioner done just about a month ago. Anything I need to do @ the 100,000 mile point?
The ABS requires a brake fluid change every 2 years. My local Euro indy also recommends periodic power steering fluid changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts