Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil in my V6 last weekend, at just a whisker over 75K miles. Mobil 1 5W-30, Mann OEM filter.

In addition to the usual stuff you have to do for this little job:

- I always partially pre-fill the oil filter with oil. I add about half a quart, roll it around until the oil is absorbed into the filter element, then add about another quarter of the bottle. I don't add enough to cause much, if any, spillage when I spin the filter on. I figure it can't hurt, and could help. Opinions?

- This time, I noticed that inside of the belly pan was dirty. So I got out the wash bucket and a brush and scrubbed it clean. :poke:

Am I insane? Obsessive? Anal-retentive?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey, that's why we do it ourselves, so we can make sure that it's done right.

Like you, I also prefill the filter. Certainly it helps to get the oil moving a little faster when you first crank it and that's a good thing.

I cleaned my belly pan also, even patched a crack that was starting in it. They are not too easy to clean, lots of places for grime to catch.

I also like to wipe down the oil pan and everything I can see under there. The cleaner it is, the easier I can tell if anything is leaking. I especially check the CV boots and give them a shot of 303 protectant. Can't hurt, and as long as I'm under there, why not?

I rip off the top flap of the oil filter box and write the date and mileage on it and put it with the receipt in my records.

·
Registered
659 Posts
ralphb said:
- I always partially pre-fill the oil filter with oil. I add about half a quart, roll it around until the oil is absorbed into the filter element, then add about another quarter of the bottle. I don't add enough to cause much, if any, spillage when I spin the filter on. I figure it can't hurt, and could help. Opinions?

- This time, I noticed that inside of the belly pan was dirty. So I got out the wash bucket and a brush and scrubbed it clean.

Am I insane? Obsessive? Anal-retentive?
1. I’ve been doing this filter method for many years. If you pre-fill the oil filter, you will notice that after the oil change (when you start the car for the first time) your oil warning light will extinguish normally. If you do not pre-fill, this light will remain lit briefly longer. You are shortening the low-pressure run portion of the first startup. Instead of the engine having to prime the oil filter, you have already done the work. Overall, I think this method is a prudent work practice.

2. I do this as well. I have always experienced a small amount of powering steering leakage on the belly pan (even with the aftermarket hose clamps). Therefore, I clean the pan during every removal.

3. Yes, my wife thinks I am anal-retentive.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
ralphb said:
hoypinoy1234 said:
Since you're at 75K, did you change your timing belt yet?
Not yet. The manual says 105K, I'll probably get it done at 90K.
Just an FYI, get the TB replaced now. A lot of people on this board would say you've gone 15,000 miles to far already and have been lucky to not have it break. 60,000 miles is the rule of thumb around here. I know it costs a lot of money (even if you do it yourself its not exactly cheap) but its much better that replaceing/rebuilding the engine. I had one break on an eagle talon I owned way back in high school. The manual said 60,000 mile intervals. I figured I would do it by the end of the month. I was at 60,xxx and it broke. Do a search and you'll see some of the horor stories. If you want a write up so you can DIY, look in the information forum.

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.