Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My free regularly scheduled maint. is finally over. I usually don't pay attention to this but does anyway know which grade oil the dealers use...I want to make sure I get it changed with the same type. 1.8T engine

Any recommendations on oil changers...do any of you go to the chains like Jiffy Lube? I would do it myself, but I'm lacking the time these days.

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
It seems most dealerships put in 5w-30. The manual states "Use 5w-40 only, and 5w-30 for top off only". The dealerships know so much more than the engineers who built the engine. :crazy:

The dealership (at least near me) charges $23.95 for an oil change (using 5w-30). I bring in my own oil (Valvoline SynPower 5w-40), and the price drops to $18 + change (plus the cost of oil pre-purchased).

-Craig

gnaik said:
My free regularly scheduled maint. is finally over. I usually don't pay attention to this but does anyway know which grade oil the dealers use...I want to make sure I get it changed with the same type. 1.8T engine

Any recommendations on oil changers...do any of you go to the chains like Jiffy Lube? I would do it myself, but I'm lacking the time these days.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My dealer uses Valvoline 5w-40, $36. I asked just to see if they would say 5w30. The SM response "You have to use 5w40, the turbo runs too hot to go to 30 and you want something that will flow quickly at lower temps." He said if you really want the best go to a 5w40 or better 0W40 synthetic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose I could go to the stealership for an oil change, but they take 1hr 30min to do a 20 minute job...

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
If you value your car, you won't take it to Jiffy Lube. In particular, the belly pan seems to trip up quite a lot of places, and more than a few dealers.

However, with the help of a Pela oil extractor, you can change it yourself (without a jack, ramps, service pit, etc.) in about the amount of time it will take for a round trip to Jiffy Lube. All you need is an oil extractor (~$60, IIRC), a filter wrench, and a plastic baggie.

SirWired

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
sirwired said:
If you value your car, you won't take it to Jiffy Lube. In particular, the belly pan seems to trip up quite a lot of places, and more than a few dealers.

However, with the help of a Pela oil extractor, you can change it yourself (without a jack, ramps, service pit, etc.) in about the amount of time it will take for a round trip to Jiffy Lube. All you need is an oil extractor (~$60, IIRC), a filter wrench, and a plastic baggie.

SirWired
i find that it saves me time to use the pela extractor than to go to jiffy lube. i can get the oil flowing, and go do something else, and come back when it's done to replace the oil filter and add oil 8)

as for the oil type, 5w-40 or 5w-30 is recommended in my '00 manual. i use synthetic pentosynth(sp?) from www.ecstuning.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
D.Passat00
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing