Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

quick one for those of you who know.

Changing oil today, and drained out the engine with my trusty sump pump, and then went to take off the oil filter. Put the usual plastic bag around it to keep any extra oil from going everywhere, and when I loosed off the filter, oil started pouring out everywhere (not the filter), and resulted in a bit of mopping up.

So the question is does it do to leave the car stand overnight to get all the oil to the sump, or is there some trick that will minimize this in future?

Cheers,
T

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you removed almost all of the specified oil capacity with your extractor, then you should not have had any significant mess. When I change the oil in my '98 Passat using the Griot's Garage oil extractor, I remove pretty close to the 4 quart capacity while the engine is warm -- I do not remove the filter until I get almost all of the oil out. Then I do the plastic bag maneuver, and I get only a little mess. I suspect that you are not removing enough of the oil with your extractor or you have an oil filter malfunction. Take care.
Kevin

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would say move/wiggle up and down the extractor tube around towards the end of the 4 quarts to get the last bit possible. I have no problems with my tempo oil boy doing the job right every time :thumbup:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use the Tempo extractor also. I purchased some oil obsorbant sheets and placed one on the area where oil leaks. I used the plastic bag over the filter and finally did it with no mess. Oil absorbant sheets cost $1 each at a marine store. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
26,008 Posts
It runs out of the oil cooler,it will not go out the drain. I always put a big rag under to catch the runoff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing