Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've scanned my owner's manual and the boards for this, but am managing to miss it. what's the oil capacity for a 2.8l engine. I guess i assumed it was 5 quarts but that is because i'm used to older cars. Sorry for the trouble. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
NE_Passat'n said:
So i've scanned my owner's manual and the boards for this, but am managing to miss it. what's the oil capacity for a 2.8l engine. I guess i assumed it was 5 quarts but that is because i'm used to older cars. Sorry for the trouble. Thanks
My 2004 capacity is 6.5 quarts(6 liters)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My 03 holds between 6 and 6.5 qts- the manual states 6.5. No major changes in there so I would assume that the 02 is the same.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
my 00 passat holds 6.5 ,my 01 holds 6.1 to top of hash mark/ below plastic orange marker

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got six in and it looked like it was almost up to the orange marker, so i didn't put any more in.. I'll check it again after its ran a minute or so, and see what its reading... I'm hoping I haven't overfilled it...

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
NE_Passat'n said:
look in the manual under "capacities".

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
NE_Passat'n said:
i've got six in and it looked like it was almost up to the orange marker, so i didn't put any more in.. I'll check it again after its ran a minute or so, and see what its reading... I'm hoping I haven't overfilled it...
you need to run it for more than that. run it at least until the fan comes on.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it too much. I put 6 in mine then start it up and check for leaks. It only happened once but I didn't torque the drain plug and I caught it during that step. If all is good, I put the belly pan back on and take it down the ramps. If the engine is still warm you shouldn't need to run it very long. Let it sit for 15 minutes to let the oil drain off the heads and check again. I usually just add about a 1/4 of a quart more to bring mine back to the top of the steel and just touching the orange. Take it for a drive and check it again after 15 minutes or so of being off.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
NE_Passat'n said:
you wont get a true reading after filling it due to oil filter not having new oil in it,...........and you dont need to run it untill fan comes on !!!!!!,just untill oil pressure light goes out and it has circulated enough,appx 1-2 mins is good, also checking to see if any leaks are occuring underneath from new oil filter (also check old filter for gasket)check leaking before you take it off ramps, thats the way ive been doing it with my two passats besides doing my own oil changes for over 30 years...............

·
Registered
871 Posts
In this chart it says 9quarts for BDP (W8). In my manual it says 9.3. On my last change 9 quarts filled to the top of hash marks on dip stick. I assumed it was because some oil stayed in the cooler or somewhere else (but that would be a lot, of course). Don't know what to believe

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
6.5 QUARTS in my 30v 2.8li...... as far as i know thats correct but you could always go for 6 and add from there after you check the stick

·
Registered
27,214 Posts
It will get you close, but it depends on the filter. I used 6.75L on all 3 of my 2.8L with the larger filter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts