Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time of year again. I have been using Pennzoil Synth 5W-40 that the dealer provides but this time I'm considering bringing my own. Any recommendations on the brand of oil - the big guys like M1/Castrol/Valvoline, which is better - what's the difference? Also there's Amsoil, Redline and some others but I'll probably stick with the above 3.

So which brand? I know M1 is popular here but how about Castrol and Valvoline (Any real differences?)? BTW where can I get Castrol or Valvoline - I know M1 is available at Wally's. I know which grade I want so that's not the question (5W-40 in all but M1 which is 0W). :???:

TIA

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have always used Castrol in VWs. I am now using Castrol Synthetic.
I saw a comparison test once and there was not much difference, but I would never put Quakerstate or Penzoil in one of my cars. I've seen too many oil related problems over the years.
Of course, this question will give you 100 different opinions when you're done! LOL Good luck!
Michael

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I am a Castrol Syntec Fan all the way, my :b5: never saw anything else, even during the free oil changes :lol: . It is the best to me. My next choice would be M1.

I have used Castrol for a long time and never had a problem. The syntec is even better...............Good luck..............Rah............ :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The newest M1 SuperSyn 0W-40 covers just about any climate range, and every VW spec listed. Given that, and the VERY easy availability.... it's the easiest choice.

Whoops... typo. East or west is OK :wink:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll lookk into M1 0W-40 but where does one find Castrol 5W-40 on around here? I know all the other grades are commonly available.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just to chime in on Mobil 1

I am now seeing Mobil 1 0W-40 more readily available. Once Autozone was the only mass supplier, but lately I've seen it stocked at Advance Auto Parts and Walmart. I've even seen it at some small independent auto stores. So if you've been looking for Mobil 1 0W-40 and having no luck, start checking around, it's starting to appear everywhere and I'm sure everyone lives near a Walmart.

Mike

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rpaller said:
As long as it meets VW's requirements (see manual) and is appropriate for the climate it will be operating in (see manual) you should be all set. If you are really anal you can start doing oil analysis after each change and work towards a brand, weight, viscocity combination that makes you feel good.

Blackstone Labs charges a nominal fee to analyze your oil and make recommendations based on mileage and the like.

Thanks, that wasn't my question. I know what will meet VW spec just gaging if one is better than others that's all.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Valvoline SynPower 5w-40. :thumbup:

Been using it since 15k miles (now at 30k), changing every 5k.

Meets all the VW specs.

Can be purchased at Napa Auto Parts or online (http://www.oil-store.com).

-Craig

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
outrun said:
Valvoline SynPower 5w-40. :thumbup:

Been using it since 15k miles (now at 30k), changing every 5k.

Meets all the VW specs.

-Craig
I'll second this.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks - there's a Walmart nearish by so I can get my M1. Anyone know where to get Castrol around here??? I guess I'll choose from those 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just posted a message in another forum on Synthetic. I'm a Mobil 1 5 W 30 fan and I usually buy it at Wal-Mart when it's on sale. They've got a 5 qt jug for $19+ when it's on sale. Otherwise a buddy of mine buys the 6 qt case at Costco for about $22. I run Mobil 1 in both my cars (00 GLX and 03 Sebring) and the oil comes out pretty darn clean at 5K.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I just switched from Mobil 0w-40 to Castrol syntec 0w-30 and I'm glad I did. It meets the vw specs and is a heavier oil than 5w-30 and is about the same as the 0w-40 which is going to shear due to the large amount of viscosity improvers in it to give it that spread. The castrol is green and I can tell my v6 revs easier and is smoother than with the Mobil-1. It is made in Germany and I love it!
You can find it at Autozone.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I found the M1 5w30 got dark quick, Fred D, so I switched to M1 0w40. I am trying penntosynth on the next change however, I have heard good things, and ECS tuning sells it. Fred, you are in Medina, you could try that too if you wanted, since ECS is in Norton.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 from Napa - ordered it today will have it tomorrow - not bad for 4.49 a quart. I was reading a test of 10W-30 oils (syth and non-syth) by Amsoil and the most popular oils like M1, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil - each seem to excel in some categories but not in others except for Amsoil which ranked the best - however, it's their test too.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Fred D. said:
jaycevs - What exactly is ECS Tuning? Where in Norton is it, is it close to I-76?
Per OhioVW.com....

ECS Tuning

3095 Cleveland - Massillon Rd.
Norton, Ohio 44203
ph. 1.800.924.5172
fax 330.825.4846

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
18 Participants
arpad
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing