Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I have a Passat variant V6 (193hp) 4motion automatic gearbox. Engine type AMX.
And the question is.. I want to drain and change the oil of those three very useful components which are, the front and rear axles, and the torsen. I already did the gearbox.

I checked on the forum but didn't find any information related. What do you recommend for oil?
And as a second question, do you guys have any info about the procedure to apply?

Peace

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
All 3 diffs use gear oil. I would use any 75W90 synthetic gear oil. The GL4/5 specs are for manual trans, so don't worry about them.
The front diff has a plug in front of the right side front axle. There is no drain. You need an oil extractor to remove the fluid.
The center diff has a drain at the bottom and a fill plug on the right side above the exhaust pipe.
The rear diff has a drain at the bottom and a fill plug on the side (I think it's on the right).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super.
Thanks mate for the quick reply.
I will do all the job on the upper reservoir and drains of the diifs this morning and will post after to give a feed back for the community.

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
The front and center diff do not hold much, maybe .75L or so. The rear holds closer to 1.5L. I am sure someone will chime in with exact amounts. I changed all 3 for someone years ago, but he did not notice any difference. I have heard of a some people noticing improvement with the center diff oil, but it was probably low to start with. I've done the front on my FWD with no difference and have only topped off all 3 on my 4mo. I did change the trans gear oil in my manual 4Mo, as they share with the front and center diff, but again, no difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts