Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Passat W8 - 23,748 miles on unit. 8340 miles on sample.
AmpOil 10W60 Racing Synthetic.

WEAR AND CONTAMINATION LEVELS APPEAR NORMAL
CONTINUE IN SERVICE. RESAMPLE AT NORMAL INTERVAL.

WEAR METALS:
Iron - 14
Chromium - 0
Lead - 0
Copper - 16
Tin - 1
Aluminum - 4
Nickel - 1
Silver - 0

CONTANINANTS:
Silicon - 7
Boron - 46
Sodium - 4
Potassium - 1

ADDITIVES:
Magnesium - 381
Calcium - 1669
Phosphorus - 1085
Zinc - 1062
Molybdenum - 0

Viscosity @ 100 celcius - 13.9
Water - <0.1
Soot - <.1
Oxidation - 17
Nitration - 12.5

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Thanks!

I thought someone started an oil analysis thread. It would be useful to find it and add this to it.

Moderators - find the "oil analysis" thread and put it in the Info Forum but allow people to add to it?

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeffsu350 said:
is this a good sample or were they worried about anything, you say normal, but did they note anything else

how much did it cost to get analysed

TIA
This sample is from my car. $18 at avlube.com. I was curious as to how the oil I use stands up. 8300 miles is the longest I've ever gone with any car. When AtomicAlex returns from vacation she will translate..

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm not an expert, but it did shear down to a 40w oil. I don't think racing oil is a great choice for long drains. It's typically meant to be used hard and drained in a relativley short amout of time. The wear numbers look good, but the shearing down of the oil may cause sludge to build up in your motor. Mobil's Truck and SUV 5w-40 (Delvac-1) is shear stable and probably costs less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.