Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week I thought I drove through a mud puddle. Left big splash marks up both sides of my car, but a couple days went by before I could get it to the carwash. Meanwhile, this "mud" had some good bake-on time in my office parking lot. Well, it didn't come off at the carwash, so i waited for the weekend when I could get a better look at it. Anyway, turns out I was just lucky enough to drive through a big ol' puddle of cement.

Did a little browsing around various auto forums and found 2 solutions:
1) White vinegar + elbow grease
2) 1 part Muriatic acid to 3 parts water.

OK, so The vinegar is working great on the paint/chrome, but not so hot on the somewhat textured and unpainted lowers. This is a car I'm planning to trade for another more winter-friendly B5.5 within the next few months, so I'm not really looking to do anything expensive or perminant (covering with votex, painting the stock lowers).

I'm willing to try the muriatic acid method, but does anyone have any educated knowledge on how the plastic will react to this? I wanna get this cement off, but I really don't wanna screw up my car at the same time :(

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Leave it on and let the dealer deal with it when you trade it in?
Or try the vinegar - muriatic acid is just diluted hydrochloric acid, if I remember correctly, and could be harsh on the plastic.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Just buy new plastic pieces. The ones on the door are only about $25 each and the long one at the bottom isn't much more.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just buy new plastic pieces. The ones on the door are only about $25 each and the long one at the bottom isn't much more.
that adds quick tho, 4 doors, 2 buttom srips, then the caps around the wheel wells and the rear...all covered in the crud. Gets to that point I'd be well more open to the idea of scrubbin off what i can. priming and painting over them to match the body ;P

get a propper steam cleaner on it, it will tear the concrete off the plastic easy
this I'm very open to, but i don't really have one lying around. Any So.FL folks know anywhere I can take it, or anyone in general have any ideas?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
that adds quick tho, 4 doors, 2 buttom srips, then the caps around the wheel wells and the rear...all covered in the crud. Gets to that point I'd be well more open to the idea of scrubbin off what i can. priming and painting over them to match the body ;P
What caps around the wheel wells?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What caps around the wheel wells?

tell me where you were driving so i dont get that crap on my car too :)q
Broward Blvd, just east of 95, It's been almost a week and it's rained a bunch since then so i'd venture to guess the hazard is out of the way :p I just can't imagine how many people must have hit it too...such a busy road and it stretched across both eastbound lanes

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
the rear caps are separate pieces and only about $10. The front caps are actually part of the long piece so there's no extra cost for those. it looks like you only have the one side to deal with though. I'd just replace them and call it good.

edit: and then get some mudflaps so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the rear caps are separate pieces and only about $10. The front caps are actually part of the long piece so there's no extra cost for those. it looks like you only have the one side to deal with though. I'd just replace them and call it good.

edit: and then get some mudf;aps so it doesn't happen again.
how i wish :( no, it's on both sides and the rear wheels slashed onto the rear plastic. I'm going to try calling around tomorrow and see if i can find a place with one of those fancy steam washers. Corey - you happen to know any places that might have such a thing?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Peanut butter. Really.

If the concrete has cured, it might be too late, but PB works well for things like this.

Or just replace the pieces, dealer's prices on these aren't too bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my experience, muratic acid won't eat plastic, but it softens concrete or cement really well.

I would try it on the least-expensive-to-replace part first to see if it damages the surface in any way.

Please wear good gloves and eye protection and keep lots of fresh water around. And don't breathe it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Try the muratic acid on the underneath portion of the plastic trim... or even the part that is slightly wrapped around it underneath. Even better yet, take the plastic peice off, and do it on the inside. See what happens.

TJ

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
you could try the PB I suppose.But it would probably take a combination
of steam cleaning and nasty solvents the muriatic acid or whatever.

BTW concrete never stops curing it can cure for a long, long time.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
how i wish :( no, it's on both sides and the rear wheels slashed onto the rear plastic. I'm going to try calling around tomorrow and see if i can find a place with one of those fancy steam washers. Corey - you happen to know any places that might have such a thing?
i have no idea man..if you needed a tuner shop i know one but not a cleaning shop. I can recommend you a body shop my whole family went to if you want tho :/

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just finally got the last bits of this mess taken care of, figured I'd go ahead and post what I had to do in case anyone else searches for "concrete splash" again.

I went ahead and picked up some muriatic acid, since I couldn't find a steamer. Mexed it up in a rather potent 3:1 mixture between water and the acid. Sprayed down the heavier spots repeatedly until most of the visible crap was gone. Did this all down both sides, behind the rear wheels, and in the front and back of all 4 wheel wells. Intermittently I stopped to spray the acid off with a garden hose. It ended up looking pretty damn good...until it dried.

When the plastics dried, there were white marks where the concrete was and some generally cloudy areas, spread more or less like water stains. I looked closer and it looked like it was all just a residue, so i made another bottle - this time a little weaker, around 5:1. Sprayed down an area at a time and worked it read good with a household scrub brush. Worked like this all the way around and then hit it again with the hose. Again, it didn't looks so great but much better than before. No more blotches where the concrete sat, just some white swirls from the brushing.

To finish it off, i grabbed some armour-all citrus wipes I keep in my trunk and went to town all the up, down and around the plastic. This time when it dried, everything looks good as new!

And yes, I bought the first set of splashguards to pop up in the Classified forum.

BTW: I tried the Peanut Butter. It made my car smell delicious, but didn't do much for the cement ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts