Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read that the ohm rating in the front speakers are diff than the rear. is this true? if so which is which and what is what?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
depends on what sound system you have as standard OEM.
if you have W8, you probably have a monsoon?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
all the speakers are 4 ohms except the rear mid/subs. those are 2 ohms. not a big deal for a hu swap though since the load is on the monsoon amp and not the HU.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all the speakers are 4 ohms except the rear mid/subs. those are 2 ohms. not a big deal for a hu swap though since the load is on the monsoon amp and not the HU.

my HU says to only use speakers that are 4ohms each. maybe that's why i have to push the fade back to the rears just to get them more juice.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Actually, the reason you have to fade to the rears is because you have no midrange back there. The "mid" is really a sub and doesn't play much more than 400Hz or so and then you have a tweeter playing from 2.5KHz or so and up. Kind of a big gap but it serves 2 purposes. 1) you have som decent bass in a stock car and 2) it keeps all the sound in front of you which is where it should be.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Kitmobley, I ended up switching the stock Monsoon speakers to JLAudio XR650Csi's with a CleanSweep DSP. This dramatically improved the sound in my W8 Passat and improved the mid-range even with the Monsoon Amp!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kitmobley, I ended up switching the stock Monsoon speakers to JLAudio XR650Csi's with a CleanSweep DSP. This dramatically improved the sound in my W8 Passat and improved the mid-range even with the Monsoon Amp!
oh yeah. thanks for the TIP!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts