Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there everyone well it's been a while since I have posted; anyhow, have I got one for you guys to laugh over... and me to ##&*.. I have a 99 1.8L wagon that I was changing the timing belt on and I ran to do somthing during the middle of it all when I cam back my kid had spun the crank.... with NO timing belt and now I have No clue where the TDC is and to make it worse I didn't mark it... what/where does the line on the flywheel line up with? I cant find any marks on the block.... so if I set the cam to TDC where should the mark on the flywheel be?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Take out the spark plugs. Put a long skinny screw driver into the #1 cylinder through the plug hole. Turn the crank until the screw driver is all the way up. That is your #1 cylinder TDC. Now, turn the cams untill both intake an exhaust valves are closed and the intake is about to open. There should be some markings on the cams that would line up at this point. Once you put the belt on, turn the engine a few complete cycles by hand to make sure everything is ok.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The bottom timing belt cover has a line on it that matches up with the line on the pulley. Wipe the cover off and you'll see it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually, it's a good thing you're having to do this properly (using the alignment marks). It's too easy to be off a tooth on the belt when trying not to shift stuff from some random position.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
JackCash said:
hey there everyone well it's been a while since I have posted; anyhow, have I got one for you guys to laugh over... and me to ##&*.. I have a 99 1.8L wagon that I was changing the timing belt on and I ran to do somthing during the middle of it all when I cam back my kid had spun the crank.... with NO timing belt and now I have No clue where the TDC is and to make it worse I didn't mark it... what/where does the line on the flywheel line up with? I cant find any marks on the block.... so if I set the cam to TDC where should the mark on the flywheel be?

If you still had the crank pulley on, there is a slight (I mean very slight) notch in it...there is also an arrow on the lower TB cover that points downward, line the two up and you are safe. Also, the cam pulley has a notch along with an arrow on the valve cover to align those, but they probably didn't move.

·
Registered
288 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
Also, the cam pulley has a notch along with an arrow on the valve cover to align those, but they probably didn't move.
But the cam needs to be aligned with the crank position, and it probably is not now that the crank is being moved, so the cam will have to be aligned anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for all the help. it's now back together and purring so No worries... I found the timing marks on the cover to be off about 3 Deg but it was a good reference. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
DaveW said:
But the cam needs to be aligned with the crank position, and it probably is not now that the crank is being moved, so the cam will have to be aligned anyway.

If the cam was at TDC and the crank was spun freely...I doubt anything was moved very far, the crank isn't the easiest thing to spin by hand, especially for a small child.

·
Registered
288 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
If the cam was at TDC and the crank was spun freely...I doubt anything was moved very far, the crank isn't the easiest thing to spin by hand, especially for a small child.
:)
I understand what you're saying here, but...
IMO, he did not know where things originally were, since he said in his initial post that he had to set the cam to TDC (it originally was not) and he was looking for the crank markings, and he would have to set the crank to TDC to install the belt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts