Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been doing my timing belt job. The alignment TDC (on the crank) was off about 2mm when I put everything back on. I spoke to a tech at BlauParts who told me "If you can turn the engine by hand without any interference you will be fine". So I go to turn the motor over today and I hear a horrible noise. I turned it off AS SOON as I heard it.

Now the bumper is still off the car (being held on by the VW tool that goes into the bumper mount). I'm not sure if this is the valves being destroyed, or if its something just vibrating really bad. Check out the video and let me know what you guys think (its small only 350kb I think). I hope I'm just being paranoid.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v301/blackcr125/?action=view&current=Car-pleasedontbedead.flv

:puke: <thats me.

·
Registered
888 Posts
So, did you remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand through several revolutions? As the BlauParts guy told you??? When he said turn the engine by HAND, that doesn't mean jump in and start it up.

Sounds bad...to me...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't know what is the sound of a valvetrain self-destructing, but that certainly didn't sound good. Did you really not bother to turn the engine crankshaft by hand? Or, did you just leave that bit out of your post?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh trust me I turned the engine by hand about 5 or 10 times just to make sure. There were no hang ups, there were no noises that would alarm me to piston/valve hitting.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
is that the motor making that noise or the air injection pump?
all the hoses back on?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea about the SAIP. I actually pulled the relay for it a couple of months ago because it was continuously running so I doubt it. All the hoses are back on. It might be low on coolant, thats the only other thing I can think of.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't really look that well. When it happened I literally got one of the worst headaches I've ever gotten and I took a nap. The wiring harness that runs on the bottom side of the bumper might be hitting the fan, or it could be the vibration of the bumper on the VW tool that lets the bumper slide out. The only weird thing I noticed, was when the engine was turning over (before it actually was running) it didn't make any noise, if it was the valves wouldn't you hear it when the engine was turning over when trying to start it?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
Is there oil in it?

I'd pull the T-belt covers and double check the alignment of everything. Look around for something hitting/rubbing.

If that were me, the :puke: smilie would need to be modified so the stuff would be coming out the other end.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep there is oil in it, just changed it to full synthetic. I guess when I have light tomorrow I'll pull all the stuff back off and check the timing and TDC marks. I need to have those tools back by the 9th so I guess I have to hurry this process up haha. So if it is my valves, would running the car for that long ruin them? Wouldn't the car start running like crap if it hit the valves? I mean even with the bad noise it ran perfect for the whole 2 seconds.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You did remember to throw the chicken bones down in front of the front bumper before starting that behotch up, didn't you?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if thats a joke or another crazy word for a special VW tool!!! I did use my VW tool #2 lots tho.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm not sure either...but after a 3 Jettas and the "new" Passat, I never work on them without burning some incense and, if it's a complicated fix, an offering of some kind right under the intake. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man if I destroyed my vavles... I really don't know what I'll do. I don't have ANYWHERE near the money to repair it. And no job lol. So shit. I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow again. What should I be looking for? Should I be checking TDC and then the position of the cam sprockets? Is it possible that the timing belt jumped a tooth when I cranked it up?

·
Registered
387 Posts
before you take it apart, yeah; check TDC and the sproket to double check your alignment. Honestly, if you turned it by hand first I think you are OK as far as not bending valves. Check the oil pressure, lack of that will make some noise for sure, until the oil pressure builds and lubricates everything. How long did you let it run?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I wonder if turning it by hand, you would get compression with a compression tester. You definitely wouldn't with bent valves.

·
Registered
387 Posts
you should get compression by hand if all is well... unless a VW is different than a Ford small block in some fundamental way

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I let it run for as long as you saw in the video. I figured if it made some weird noise I would want it on video so I don't have to mess it up even more. If everything looks good as far as the timing tomorrow I'm going to bolt everything back on and tighten the bumper down and then start it again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Could it be possible that the timing belt tensioner wasn't set correctly (not enough tension)?

That might allow you to turn it over by hand without damage but when the starter put a load on it, it skipped timed?

I hope not for your sake..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Another thought..

Before you take it out of "service position", put a couple cylinders on TDC (top dead center), compression stroke and do a leak down test on each cylinder.

Autozone may have the tool to rent.

If not, and you have an air compressor - regulate the pressure to 25lbs, wrap the end of an air nozzle with some black tape and stick it in the spark plug hole and try to pressurize.

You'll know right away if you have any bent valves.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts