Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to wash my car today and pulled it down a bit in my parking spot when I saw it. It looked like oil....smelled like oil...tasted like oil (well I really did not taste it). There was some nasty, yellow brown, burnt umber looking oil underneath the car. I pray someone parked in my parking space while I was out and its their oil and not mine. I did not park in the exact same spot and I will wait until morning to see if I truly am dripping. Can anyone guess where its coming from and why? :cry:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
GoldenPassat said:
Went to wash my car today and pulled it down a bit in my parking spot when I saw it. It looked like oil....smelled like oil...tasted like oil (well I really did not taste it). There was some nasty, yellow brown, burnt umber looking oil underneath the car. I pray someone parked in my parking space while I was out and its their oil and not mine. I did not park in the exact same spot and I will wait until morning to see if I truly am dripping. Can anyone guess where its coming from and why? :cry:
It could honestly be any number of things. Start by giving us your year, milage, and type of engine. If you have a V6, it is likely the Cam seals.

·
Registered
712 Posts
BobV said:
You belly pan must be full of oil if it's now to the point of dripping on to the pavement! :wink:
Yep, when was the last time you had an oil change?!? Who or where did you do it?!? Check the dipstick, maybe it's over filled.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have:
2001.5 GLS
1.8t
just over 44,000 miles
last service the 40k mile service
Had it done @ Wheaton Svc. Ctr. (MD) - A VW service center

Is it something serious or just something that has to be emptied :???:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sounds like they either overfilled, or you have a leak down there. Maybe they didn't tighten the drainplug entirely. I know when I went to Jiffy lube for a change, they didn't want to overtighten the plug as the pan is made out of aluminium. As a result I had a slow dripping leak for several weeks afterwards. I brought it back to them and it was tightened. Worst case scenerio, you somehow bottomed out hard enough to crack your oil pan.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
vwpwr said:
BobV said:
You belly pan must be full of oil if it's now to the point of dripping on to the pavement! :wink:
Yep, when was the last time you had an oil change?!? Who or where did you do it?!? Check the dipstick, maybe it's over filled.
What I was trying to say is because of the belly pan catching drips, oil leakage is not often noticed. So... If you do see it on the garage floor, it probably really is a problem!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ya skribble...how much did that cost, I'm probably having mine replaced on Wed. and would like to have an idea about how long i'm going to go without food!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Passaton18s said:
Ya skribble...how much did that cost, I'm probably having mine replaced on Wed. and would like to have an idea about how long i'm going to go without food!
Cam seals are a warranty item. Your 10/100 should cover it. If you are out of warranty, I would expect a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is an Update on the Oil "leak"!!

I drove to a friends house that is about 25/30 miles away and I 4got to chk the oil. When I was leaving his house i remembered to chk the oil and there was nothing coming up on the dip stick :shock: . I had to get emergency oil "stat" . So I buy 2 Qrts from WalMart nearby, put it in the car and then drove to WalMart to have them chk out the "leak" (remember its sunday and everything is pretty much closed up). So they chkd for the oil while adding add oil and ended up finding no major oil leaks. They open up my coolant resevoir and it looks like MUD :shock: :eek: . The damm oil was mixed in with my coolant...thats why they did not see a leak. So now they are telling me I may have possibly blown a gasket and could have seriously damaged my engine if I had driven home w/o chking. It took me 3hrs to get home because my oil light came on twice. Both times I had pulled over to let the car cool off - the only times I saw the car overheating. It did not do this prior to all of this. I am going to have to call VW in the morn to have it towed and chkd out.

First of all, what are the chances that the WalMart guys are right - blown gasket. What else could it be and would the work be done under 10/100 warranty (2001.5, 1.8T, Tip, 44250 miles). Also, I had my 40k miles svc done at another shop (not a VW dealer) can this void any warranty on this job? Can it be something they did/not do that could have caused this. The WM ppl said gaskets just blow for no particular reasons sometimes. I need some answers. Can anyone give me some ideas what I am up against? :cry: :cry: I could use your assistance!!

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
You have categorically blown a gasket. ;) There are very few areas where the oil can mix with the coolant, and the two common ones are head gasket and oil cooler. If you are not noticing any running problems (sputtering, etc.), it is probably the oil cooler. Our oil coolers kind of suck - they aren't that robust.

Good luck, the oil cooler is a much cheaper fix than the head gasket. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
atomicalex said:
You have categorically blown a gasket. ;) There are very few areas where the oil can mix with the coolant, and the two common ones are head gasket and oil cooler. If you are not noticing any running problems (sputtering, etc.), it is probably the oil cooler. Our oil coolers kind of suck - they aren't that robust.

Are any of those scenarios fixed under warranty? I think i read in the manual that a blown gasket comes under the 10/100 warranty. One of the service men actually uttered the words "possible cracked head" :shock: :sad: :cry: . I guess I will find out the Passat's fate in a few hours.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would be stunned if a blown gasket WASN'T covered under the warranty! This certainly isn't a routine maintenance or wear-and-tear item. I am making the assumption that your warranty is still in effect, though.

My wife's old Sable went through 2 head gaskets, one under warranty at 30k miles and another I paid for at about 60k miles. The third time it went, they replaced the engine (at 95k miles!) under a non-publicized "extended coverage" program (i.e. kick and scream enough, and suddenly the service manager finds a Ford program that will take care of the problem).

Good luck, and let us know what happens!
George

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
atomicalex said:
If you are not noticing any running problems (sputtering, etc.), it is probably the oil cooler. Our oil coolers kind of suck - they aren't that robust.

Atomicalex u were dead on so far with the oil cooler. They are going to replace it under warranty as soon as the part come in tomorrow. Also, the service guy told me they would have to chk if the engine was damaged. What is the likelyhooh that I may need a new engine? Or at least have the old one repaired?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
If its just the oil cooler, they are going to have to flush out all of the fluids (ie, oil and coolant) and replace with fresh ones. Ive never really seen the fluids get so mixed up in the coolant tank though through the oil cooler. I would lean more towards the blown head gasket. I wouldnt really doubt if it wasnt a mixture of the two failing. Keep us posted on what really happens.

·
Registered
331 Posts
GoldenPassat said:
:shock: I don't like the sound of the worse case scenario. btw - I was told to never take my car to Jiffy Lube. Has anyone else been told this?
Let someone with a third grade education and making $5 an hour work on my car? Hell no. Even an oil change.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
16 Participants
GoldenPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing