Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you may have known, I was flying to Ottawa today to pick up my first 1999 Black Magic Passat 1.8T. Wow! What a car!! I absolutely LOVE the way it drives! Anyways, as of about 12 hours ago, I am now the proud owner of a B5! 8)

Well, I made the 5-hour drive to my brother place all fine and dandy. We watched a movie and relaxed there for a few hours. Then, I had to drive home about 45 minutes away in rural Canada (about 3 hours ago now).

I was 5 minutes from my hometown when I woke up on the gravel shoulder of the road. I had fallen asleep!! I didn't even know that I was tired, so it was really strange :???: My car spun, and I did a doughnut on the road, tires sqeualing, and then proceeded into the ditch sideways. Sure enough, there happened to be a hydro pole right there :sad: My car hit the pole on the driver's side right at the seam of the quarter panel and the rear passenger door. The rear passenger door took most of the impact, and the glass blew out. If anyone ever wondered, the side impact airbags do indeed work :D I escaped the incident with only a few scrapes on my knees. I am wondering if the side impact airbag saved my head . . . it is hard to tell, it happened so fast. In the accident, I also took out the top of the hydro pole, and the tip where the wires are connected was just hanging there. I have no idea how much that will cost, but I bet it will be expensive :(

I must say, the VW handled really well in the accident. Looking at what happened, I am sure it could have been worse in another car. However, this hurts me financially BIG BIG BIG TIME :cry: I had to borrow money from my Dad to buy the car, and I am still in University. With a perfect driving record, I am already paying $5000CAN/yr due to outrageous rates. I actually work at an insurance compnay doing math/stats/pricing, so I know that this is really going to affect me if it goes through insurance. I will likely be seeing premiums of $10000+/yr after this is all done :cry: To make matters worse, I was also charged with careless driving, which is a major offese in Ontario that raises your insurance rates by about 50% :cry:

Now, for the good news. Although this occurrence is terrible, God truly blessed me in this accident:

- He made sure that the hydro wires didn't fall onto my car
- He made sure that I hit the pole in the right way to minimize injury
- He made sure there was no oncoming traffic (I couldn't imagine living with myself if I injured ssomeone else!)
- He made sure that my car was safe, and that I sustained no injuries
- He made sure that I had a nice police officer
- He made sure that people were immediately there to assist me
- He made sure that my parents were fully understanding
- He made sure that the damage to my car was not as bad as it could have been

So, on second thought, I have A LOT of blesssings to be thankful for.

Now, I have to wait and see how much things are going to cost. I am likely going to have to foot the bill myself because going through insurance will raise my rates to the point where I cannot even afford to drive anymore (and I NEED my car for work and school).

I am guessing that, with a used rear door and used rear quarter panel, and necessary painting and mechanical work, the car can be fixed for about $3000 - $4000CAN. I have no idea about the pole, but my parents are good friends with one of the managers of Ontario Hydro so I could find out. I also have to do a bit of repair to the lawn that I wrecked, although those people were VERY nice and understanding, and won't cause much of a racaus.

So, that is my horror story. I will see if I can take some pics, but my car is towed away to an impund somewhere.

Regards,
Bryan

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
welcome to my world....never drive tired...instead of watching that movie, you should've taken a nap...or napped during the movie...i'm so glad you're alright...i've learned this lesson also...if your eyelids feel heavy...find a motel room, it'll be worth more than you could ever imagine...

·
Registered
29,164 Posts
Glad you are ok,sorry about the car. Those insurance rates are horrible. I paid $1000 a year for each of my sons to be added to my policy. I paid $1000 for my wife and I.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Whew, you were lucky - that you are okay and that nobody else was on the road. The scariest thing I ever did was nod off for a few seconds and hit those rumble strips to the left of the passing lane, at about 70mph. Had i gone right, i woulda hit someone b/c this was morning congestion.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Bryan, I was waiting to hear how the car worked out. I thought that you were just all taken up with having your new car. :cry: Now I read this and I feel worse than you now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope the car is still driveable so that you can still get around. I guess it is good that you have not sold the other car yet. :cry:

All things work out for good in the end. You may discover something the past owner did not reveal. :wink:

·
Registered
490 Posts
First, let me say I am glad you are OK. Cars can be fixed but often humans can not. Also, you have a very good outlook on the whole situation.

I am not sure I fully understand the damage, but often on side inpacts the unibody needs to be straightened on a frame jig. Also, maybe your insurance could handle the property damage without too much impact on your premium. I would be interested to know if that would be the case. Hopefully, you can find a body shop who can cut you a break on the repair.

Good Luck, Ray

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
wow thats hurts!! and man $5000 /yr? I pay less than that for 3 cars. How old are you?

If I were you I will take my car to a body shop. I once was rearended by a Caprice with a tow hook and my left passenger quarter panel was just all scratched up/dented. I paid $3000 for it. Im not sure what extent the damage of your car took though.

Glad you are ok. I guess now you know the real color of your B5 as you need a repaint

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Glad to hear God get the credit for the good parts of a bad situation. There are other people who give credit to God on this site, and I for one will pray for you.

I have fallen asleep at the wheel at highway speed (thankfully not my Passat!) and lived to tell the story. When I woke up I was heading down an embankment. Easily could have hit the bridge I was approaching (unbeknownst to me) or worse (someone else). Thankfully, when I woke up I was able to steer back to pavement, catch my breath, and go home.

God doesn't protect us from every bad thing that can happen, but if we pay attention we will learn and be better off.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
Damn, man. Sorry about that. Maybe it's best to not get insurance involved. As far as the reckless driving goes, see a lawer and see if he could make a deal to get the charges reduced so that it doesn't affect your record. Good luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
:( that your car is hurt
:D that you are OK (by far more important)

You seem to have a great attitude and your family is understanding; that in itself is a huge benefit in this situation.

Best of luck,

Mike E.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If your insurance co. ever checks your drivers record they willl find out. Check out the scenario at work. If you are caught with insurance fraud you will be lucky to get ins. at any price. Fight the carless driving charge from the nice OPP officer. Hope the next few Megametres are better!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone . . . it is really appreciated.

I will keep everyone updatde on the status of this incident. I have to make a bunch of phone calls today to find everything out. I work at an insurance company, and I am pretty sure that I am screwed :cry:

This was not a good week-end at all. It was supposed to be awesome: going on a flight and picking up my new B5. What a change of events :(

Thanks once again, and I will keep you all updated,
Bryan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.