Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the rear shocks are a little bouncy on my '03 V6. I'll have to have the down face in front of the boss... :( But deep inside, all VW enthusiasts look like this when they need to "replace" worn out stock suspension components. :driving: (don't tell wife...but I think she knows anyway).

So, anyone have the line on budget suspension performance? I'm looking for something a little tighter than stock and just enough lower to have the stock rubber fill the wheel wells a little better.

I'm thinking perhaps Koni STR.Ts with some lowering springs. I just don't want to create more creaks and rattles than I already have. :poke: Or, if stock damping with just lowering springs is OK, that's fine too.

What's yer suggestion? Keep in mind, I'm 40 and not a racer boy and want something subtle and not stiff enough to create more rattles and creaks.

Also, is this a driveway mechanic's nemesis, or is it pretty straight forward?

AJ

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Just about any shock / spring combo that lowers the car will make the right slightly stiffer. That being said, a 2" drop on race springs will ride much firmer than a 1" drop on a set of OE sport springs. The valving on the shocks will also have an effect on the ride comfort.

Running a lowering spring on a non-sport shock can certainly be done, however it will usually cause the shock to work a bit more and typically wear them out faster.

Shock and spring combinations can get expensive rather quickly, and the costs usually go up pretty fast when upgrading to a specific sport shock. For an example of pricing on standard shocks vs. sport shocks:

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

I have run a mild lowering spring on Bilstein HD's previously without issue, but I would not suggest going over a 1" drop with them. If you do not want to change up the ride quality of the car too much, then I would suggest going with either the OEM 1BE Sport Springs, or the H&R OE Sport Spring.

I would say the largest factor in lowering the car and keeping a comfortable ride is going to be budget. If you have a specific budget in mind, then I would work off of that to try and get the best combination to fit your needs.

Feel free to send over a PM or email if you would like to try and come up with a few different options. There are quite a few options available, however the pricing can have a very wide range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts