Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are running 16x7's on an ET37 then upgrade to 18"s, would you go 18x8 ET35 or 18x8 ET45 ? 35 or 45 are the only options on the wheels I am looking at.

UK/Euro Car 51 Plate B5.5 or B5 Phase 2:thumbup:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I'd go for ET35. ET45 will suck the wheels under the arches and you'd need to run some spacers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have decided on Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on a 225/40/18 for an 18x8 ET35 RS4 replicas. I have the slightly lower spring set up from having the 1.8T Sport model so I don't think it will look SUV. Will post up some pics of befores and afters next week:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Et 35 is the way to go with a 18x8 wheel with a 235 40 18 tire for added wheel protection ....... but if roads are good where you live go 225 40 18 tire

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Et 35 is the way to go with a 18x8 wheel with a 235 40 18 tire for added wheel protection ....... but if roads are good where you live go 225 40 18 tire
Hi mate, yes I think the 235's would be better and if I were putting 18x8's on the subaru I would go with 235's.

The tyres I have gone for are Mich PS2's XL's and as you can see the coverage is pretty good on a 18x7.5's rim which I have on the subaru. The XL rim protectionale or what ever mich call it are really good for rim coverage so I thought I would save myself the extra £160 it would cost for the 235's:Yikes:

Being fitted tomorrow so pics to follow:thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Keeping all the UK sport questions in one thread -

I've got a B5 1.8T sport. Suspension I understand is 20mm lower than normal. Car as it is now:

If I get some 18's on ET35 like Bananaman above, will I get any rubbage? (I like to corner hard ;) )

Or even if I get 19's are they likely to rub?

Next : someone did a mock up of what they think I should do with the Passat...

I'm not gonna lower it yet, I have a silly gradient to get off my driveway. The wheels in the pic are Masitaly VT7's. I think they look great but are impossible to get hold of and I'm on a budget.

I was looking at the RS6 replica wheels:

what do you think?

As always, thanks :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My replicas came in 35 or 45, I only went 35 because it was closer to standard. If I had a B5 I would go for 45 but that doesn't anwer if they would rub if you are trying to go more pokey:lol: Certainly the ride height wasn't a problem going 18" on sport springs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My replicas came in 35 or 45, I only went 35 because it was closer to standard. If I had a B5 I would go for 45 but that doesn't anwer if they would rub if you are trying to go more pokey:lol: Certainly the ride height wasn't a problem going 18" on sport springs.
Maybe you don't understand the way Et works. A 35Et will stick out further from the body then a 45Et. Lower the Et further it will stick from body :).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe you don't understand the way Et works. A 35Et will stick out further from the body then a 45Et. Lower the Et further it will stick from body :).
:confused: B5's run ET45 do they not ?

ET37 on a B5.5 go ET35 and they protrude more.

ET45 on a B5 go ET45 stays the same

ET45 on a B5 go ET35 and they protrude considerable more ( and I don't know if this will rub on sport springs or otherwise)

What is there not to understand ?:D

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I'd go for ET35. ET45 will suck the wheels under the arches and you'd need to run some spacers
Does it matter that the stocks were ET37, what effect does going down to a ET35 have ?
The wheels will poke out a fraction more than they did before.

Read up on offset here; http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101
He understood a month ago ;)

As for offsets;

B5 - ET45
B5.5 - ET37 / w8 ET45

1 - 17 of 17 Posts