Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the whole morning and was only able to remove one hose from line to the ABS module, then one hard line from the caliper. everything else is dead frozen, no help from torch or vise.

This is officially the worst project I have attempted on the car, water-neck now falls into second.

sad thing is I'm putting it all back together with old rubber hoses that have a crack in the outer lining.

Anyone else have such difficulty and come up with a solution? I'll have to take it to a shop eventually, but any advice may help them.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Flare nut wrenches are indispensible for applications such as brake lines, bleeder valve, fuel lines, etc.

The trick I always use when attacking a fastener I suspect will be difficult to remove is to first TIGHTEN the fastener just a bit, and once the fastener breaks loose, THEN loosen the fastener. I just did it last weekend with exhaust/cat fasteners - tighten first then back off to remove. Works almost every time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sprayed w/ PB blaster before everything and let it sit at many points in between while venting frustration. I used a proper flare nut wrench, I could see the opening flexing under the force I was using. Funny thing is...nothing else on this car ever really seems to be difficult to unbolt, even control arms were manageable.

I got the whole assembley out on the driver's side (top end of rubber hose removed fine then removed the lower hard line from the caliper). I put the hard-line end of the connection in a bench vise and tried to undo it by turning off the rubber hose (using the bracket it attaches to for leverage, no luck). I then applied a torch and tried the same procedure. I succeeded in chewing the whole deal to smithereens, but could not remove it. So...I reinstalled....no leaks!. For this side I just need to get a new hard line and bracket and install that with the new hose.

Now...to the passenger side :-(

Passenger side will only unsrew directly at the caliper. I can't even get the upper end of the rubber hose out. I put my whole body weight into my flare nut wrench and succeeded only in mangling the bracket that attaches to the inner fender and breaking the little nubs off the end of the rubber hose. Any thoughts here.

How likely is the rubber hose to fail if only the rubber outer layer is showing cracking. I can see the braided bits underneath, and those look good...for now.

Usually I don't try to cheap-out on needed repairs, but I'm thinking the only way to repair this line is to replace everything from the caliper to the ABS module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok so after having this issue i read this forum...tried the special wrench, (You need a size 11 is a bitch to find), pd blaster, torch ect....wont come off...so if someone else runs into the same issue here is some advise that will save you allot of time and headache....Your going to have to replace the metal line that runs from the hose to the caliper. Its simpler then it sounds.

1.) First take a picture of the line so you know which way it is bent. Makes life easier.
2.) Unbolt the metal line from the caliper.
3.) Unbolt the flange from the the caliper which holds the metal line and the hose.
4.) I hate to say this but yes brake the metal line from the hose. How you brake it is your call but note you will need that metal flange free so you can reinstal it.
5.) Refer to the picture you just took of how the metal line was bent and bend the new line as close as you can to the picture.
6.) Attach the flange back to the caliper.
7.) Connect the metal line to the caliper.
8.) Connect the metal line to the hose through the metal flange just like it was before. (some extra bending of the metal line might be required)
9.) Bleed the Brakes.
10.) You are good to go.

The metal line cost $1.54 at advanced auto.....$1.54 is worth saving 2 hours of your time trying to brake apart the metal line from the hose until you strip the bolt and realize you have to buy the metal line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts