Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,780 Posts
Year of Passat - 2001.5

What kind of stereo came stock with the car - GLX Monsoon

any custom fabrication work to install stereo - modified capacitor mounts

Head Unit - Sony Xplod CDX-GT820ip

Speakers - Stock Monsoon

Amplifiers - Stock Monsoon, Kicker zr600

Processors - none

Subwoofers - 12" Kicker SoloBaric L5

Video - none

Wiring - 4g power and ground to cap and amp w/ 80A glass fuse, RadioShack RCA cables to sub amp and Sony accessories, Monster Cable Sony data bus cable.

Battery(s) - OEM

Locations of product installed and what did you have to do to put it there:
  • Sony HU replaced Monsoon HU
    • Installed Sony cage
    • Soldered and shrink-wrapped Sony harness to converter harness
    • Wired in aftermarket antenna amplifier circuit
    • Wired in PAC-SWI PS steering wheel control adapter
      • Removed glove box
      • Stuck PAC-SWI to side of console cage between the console and glovebox
      • Ran wires inside console cage to stereo area
    • Ran two pairs of RCA, one data line, and amp remote-on wire to cargo area.
  • Sony SIR-SNY1 Sirius tuner installed in OEM CD Changer shelf
    • Removed defunct OEM changer
    • Ran data cable and Aux-In RCA to "Utility Closet" and up to tuner
    • Installed satellite receiver and carefully ran wire to Sirius tuner under rubber weather seal for the hatch
  • Sony 10 Disc Changer installed in cargo area w/ Velcro for easy removal
    • Ran RCA and data cable from Sirius tuner to 10 Disc Changer
    • Stuck Changer in front of "Utility Closet"
  • Tsunami 1.2f Capacitor on left wall of cargo area
    • Ran fused 4g power line from batter, through cab, to rear left side of cargo area
    • Ran ground to inside of cargo area
  • Kicker zr600 on right wall of cargo area
    • Ran 4g power and ground from cap, across back of cargo area, to amp
    • Ran RCA sbwoofer channel and remote power to amp
  • Kicker 12" SoloBaric L5 in ported box sitting in left corner of cargo area
    • Unmounted for easy removal, does not shift unless driving like an idiot
    • Wires ran from sub, under cargo area mat, to amp
Who installed it (if you didnt do it, dont take credit for it, give credit where credit is due)? - Me

How long did it take to install it? - I didn't keep track, over 10 hours taking my time

If you had to do it again what would you do differently? - buy more amp power line so I could have made it more discreet and find someone who can help me make a hidden, or at least a smaller, more practical sub enclosure.

What advice do you have for any noobs who would want to do a system like this? - Obviously, I didn't do a crazy upgrade. I just wanted a more capable modern system with a bit of bass for my different tastes of tunes. I find the OEM Monsoon amp and drivers to be sufficient for my needs, I just wanted to supplement and improve what was already there. My advice is to research your stuff, don't just buy something because it looks cool. You probably won't be happy in the end.

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts
Year of Passat 2004 1.8T GLS Variant

What kind of stereo came stock with the car
Monsoon

No custom fabrication work to install stereo

head unit - Pioneer Avic Z2

Speakers - Stock Monsoon

Amplifiers - RF Punch 4080 DSM bridged rears for Sub

Subwoofer - RF Punch P1 8ohm 10"

Wiring - oold School Stinger RCAs, no name (Amp King) High strand count 4 gauge power/ground

Battery and Alternator- OE

Locations of product installed and what did you have to do to put it there.

Amp located in right rear compartment. Removed first aid holder for more room.

Who installed it 100% Me.

How long did it take to install it
Radio 1hr
Amp 1hr

If you had to do it again what would you do differently. No

·
Registered
23 Posts
year of passat and modell------- 2002 variant 2.8 30v 4 motion
head unit -------------- jvc kw nx7000
speakers -------------------------oem
who did it installed -------------100% me
how long did it take to install------ radio 30 mn
amplificator and subwoofer 3 h
why did you make this ------------ i like a good sound but my wife dont like to see the trunk full o cables and big boxes with the subwoofers .empty and clean

i hoppe that can help some one

·
Registered
423 Posts
Year of Passat 2003 GLS 1.8T

What kind of stereo came stock with the car
Monsoon

Custom Fab - Front dead-button Mounted USB Plug-in/ Custom Trunk Enclosure Fabricated DIY

head unit - Pioneer DEH-P5000

Speakers - Stock Monsoon

Amplifiers - Sony Xplod Amp (free to me)

Subwoofer - Dual Electronics (Cheep Cheep....)

Wiring - Rockford Fosgate 4 Gage Wiring Kit

Battery and Alternator- OE

Locations of product installed and what did you have to do to put it there.

Amp Bolted To Sub Box
Who installed it 100% Me.

How long did it take to install it
Radio 3hr
Amp 2hr
Custom Enclosure 8hr

If you had to do it again what would you do differently - Start with better quality sub and amp combo. (Soon to be changed out this winter; two years of basic, basic subs is long enough)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amp power cable help!

I have a 2005 Passat and I've got a pretty good idea how to install the amp and everything, the only problem I'm having is that I cant find a way to get the power cable through the firewall and into the car. I saw in one of the pictures that the power cable ran into a black box on the right side of the engine compartment, that seems like the best way but they don't show where it goes once inside that box, or how to get the cover off (the last bolt is hidden in the back underneath the body). If anyone could help me get the cable through with some step by step instructions that would help me a lot! (pictures are really good too)

Thanks

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,902 Posts
while this isn't the thread to post this in (you should have started one), just ground the wire.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
This thread hasnt seen any love in a while so here is the setup in the allroad:

Alpine CDA-9827
Hybrid Audio Clarus C51-2 (front doors)
Arc Audio KS6006 (rear doors)
Arc Audio XXD6029 (read hatch)
Arc Audio ARC15 (2)
Arc Audio KS1000.1 (2)
Arc Audio KS300.4
Arc Audio 2080XXD
Arc Audio Line Drivers (2)
Stinger SP925 (2nd Battery)
Stinger wiring and accessories
Second Skin Damplifier
Varad LED accent lighting
Install by John Marsh and Scott Paterson of American Radio in Cumming, GA

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine is coming soon, i plan on putting 2 Rocksford Fosgate P3 12" in a ported box in the back, with a 1000W mono amp to power them and then a 500W 4 channel for the speakers. I havnt decided on a head unit yet, so if anyone has some suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Honestly, find one you think is pretty and has features and control routines that you're comfortable with. There really isn't enough of a sound difference in most HUs to bother asking anyone their opinion about. When you get into the high end units it's a whole different ball of wax.

·
Registered
222 Posts
1999 Passat GLS Wagon

Headunit: Blaupunkt Acapulco MP54

It’s very important to me to not have a flashy stereo in any of my cars, so this headunit fit what I wanted perfectly. It’s not too flashy, and its satin black and aluminum coloring fits my black interior perfect. It will match even better when I get my brushed aluminum dash kit. The stereo also has what Blau calls: Vario-Colour display, which is a color matching capability. It matched the purpleish blue and red interior lighting on the Passat really well. I also love the way it reads directories on an mp3 data disc, so all you have to do is drag and drop files or whole folders to your burning software, burn and enjoy. My only con to this stereo is the inability to control the factory cd changer.

Speakers: Blaupunkt GT Series Components
GTc652 Fronts
GTc542 Rears
I think the stock speakers would have been enough, but when we got the car the front driver and rear passenger tweeters were blown along with the rear driver woofer. I decided to upgrade to better components and wanted Blaupunkt speakers to go with the Blaupunkt stereo. I chose the GT series because they have a built in crossover on the woofer for the tweets, I didn’t want to deal with finding a place for the crossover boxes. The main reason why the rears are smaller is just because I got a hell of a deal on them, $18.00 on eBay. The Crutchfield adaptors will hold either 6.5s or 5.25s so that was another reason why I bid on them. Rears aren’t as important as fronts so it doesn’t matter much anyway. The speakers are 40 and 50 watt RMS but I’m just running them on the 18 watts RMS the headunit puts out, don’t need anything louder since this is my family’s hauler.

Amplifiers: Stock internal amp in Blaupunkt Acapulco MP54 and internal amp in Blaupunkt THb 210A Powered Subwoofer
Blaupunkt Acapulco MP54: RMS Power x4 Channels @4 Ohm (Watt): 18
Blaupunkt THb 210A: RMS Power x1 Channel @4 Ohm (Watt): 120
An Earth shattering 192 watts RMS!!!!

Subwoofer: 8” Blaupunkt THb 210A

I chose this sub because as stated before this is my family hauler/grocery getter so I couldn’t go overboard. My kids are in this car 95% of the time I drive it so I still needed some oomph but no earth shattering bass, not to mention my wife would have killed me if I installed a system like in my previous Gti(2000 watts and dual 15” RE subs :thumbup:). The sub is actually really efficient for being just an 8”, 120 watt sub. The bass is deep and low. I think a lot of that has to do with the enclosure, as it’s ported and more than likely tuned for the sub or vice versa.

Wiring: Stock except for the 6 wires and RCAs I had to run for the sub.
I had to run the 4 front speaker wires from the stereo plus a power and ground wire along with the rca’s for my sub to work. The sub powers on by itself once it gets a signal from the speaker outs, and that’s why I had to run it along with the RCAs. I just added 4 15ft 18g lengths of wire to the harness adaptor where I soldered the two together and ran them along with the RCAs and power/ground wires. For the power, it asks you to wire straight to the battery, which I did with a 20 amp fuse. Ground was also run to the battery.
I am planning on upgrading the BIG 3 soon.

Battery: Optima Redtop
I like Optimas, have one in every car I own

Locations: Stock locations for speakers and subwoofer is in the hatch.
The woofers are in the stock locations in the doors, installed with Crutchfield/Scosche speaker adaptors. PN# SAVW6. The tweeters are in stock location on the pods above the doors. The sub is in the hatch on the driver side as far forward as possible, It is not screwed down so I still need to mount to something although it has never tipped over.

Who did the install: My friend and I

I installed everything with the help of a friend.

How long was the install: Over the span of 2 days.
It took about 2 hours to remove all the door panels and drill out the rivets holding the stock speakers in place. I took about ½ an hour to install the speaker adaptors and another ½ hour to wire up the woofers per Blaupunkts instructions. Nothing too hard just how to properly wire the tweeters. We then took a lunch break and went back at to install the tweets, all that had to be done to the tweets was to remove the door handle surround for the rear and the little panel for the front. Then we popped out the stock tweeters and amazingly the new tweets fit the existing lip perfectly. We glued em in place and that was that. Then we put the doors back together and called it a night. Next day we removed Blaupunkt headunit and unplugged everything(remember to disconnect the negative terminal, I just disconnect them both) I pulled the harness adaptor out and carefully cut off the heatshrink I had used on the speaker leads. I soldered a white and a black 15ft. 18g lengths to the front left speaker outputs and a grey and a black to the front right. Then I taped the lefts and the rights separate at 3 ft intervals with electrical tape so I knew which side was which(mostly for the black wires). I reinstalled the harness adaptor after taping up the new joints and reinstalled the radio. I ran red(with 20 amp fuse) and a black 10g wires from the battery terminals into the harness bundle that goes into the dash from the cowl and zip tied these to the already ran speaker outs and RCAs, removed sills, and various trim to run the new wires to the rear. At the rear I soldered the newly ran wires to the included connector and soldered them together. I plugged the RCAs and the power/speaker connector into the sub and reconnected the battery. I looked and smelled around for anything and after I was satisfied with nothing being out of the ordinary I turned the car on and turned the stereo on. What a difference; crisp highs and deep lows from the speakers while the sub added some deepness to the lows. The best part? It all looked factory, even the sub(to me).

If you had to reinstall what would you do differently? Nothing really
Really satisfied with the “system”.

What advise do you have for anyone who wants a system like this? Take your time and do it right.

All for this pile:

-SLMDB5

More pics as I find/take them

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello. i have just installed a new dvd unit in my car and i see in these pictures you have done what my initial thought was. installing the usb input in the lower right filler plate of the buttons near the unit. how did u go about doing this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Year of Passat:2005

What kind of stereo came stock with the car: Monsoon DD

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD

Speakers - JL Audio C5-650 Evolution (front)
Infinity Perfect 6.1 (rear)

Amplifiers -JL Audio G4500, JL Audio Slash v2 Series 500/1v2

Suboofers - JL Audio HO110R-W6v2

Video- DVD, And i have a PS1 hooked up as well lol.

Who installed it (if you didnt do it, dont take credit for it, give credit where credit is due): I did it all. My boy mark helped me out as well. Alot of credit goes to this forum. I found all the info i needed from here. I woulda been lost without it.

How long did it take to install it: I lost count of how much time i put into this setup. Speakers took forever.

If you had to do it again what would you do differently: Use 0 gauge wire. Only upgrade the front 2 speakers. The rear speakers are unnecessary.

What advice do you have for any noobs who would want to do a system like this: RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Seriously thats my biggest advice. I came into this not knowing ANYTHING. I went into a car audio place and they ripped me off. I originally had kicker comps and a crappy no name amp. I paid way too much for a horrible set up. I learned my lesson. From then on i did everything myself. And it was definitely worth it. I got a new hobby and saved me alot of money as well. I love car audio now.

Another thing i didn't mention, i have dynamat on all 4 doors. And just today i did the trunk with FatMat. It was about half the price of dynamat so I went for it. Does the job.

^^ that little thing is a beast. I love JL Audio:bowdown:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Why would you move to 0 gauge? With the gear you're running a single 4 gauge would be fine. You could move to a 2 gauge if you wanted to have some upgradability, but a 0 guage would be massive overkill.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why would you move to 0 gauge? With the gear you're running a single 4 gauge would be fine. You could move to a 2 gauge if you wanted to have some upgradability, but a 0 guage would be massive overkill.
You really think so?

Im currently running 8 gauge:icon_eek:

no bueno.

I'll go to 2 then

21 - 40 of 59 Posts