Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
I think the problem is that a cold air intake doesn't really intake cold air on a Passat. Because of the design of the car it brings in higher than ambient temp air and it gives you such limited power gains. For the most part the stock airbox is not that bad and it limits the amount of hot air your car sucks in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have one and I am very happy with it. If you do a little extra work on the heat shield, it works quite well. You can also be creative and make duck work that will help aid in the ability of the system to receive "cold" air.

G

·
I hear the same thing unless your really crafty its hard to overcome the heat! And also the stock airbox is pretty effcient!

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Nicest functional CAI i've seen on the passat was handcrafted by DZIGNER. All the others let in too much hot air. If the stock airbox is pretty good . . . why change it? Best option IMO is to do the colorado airbox mod and add a secondary intake to the stock box. other than that, maybe adding some heat shielding to the intake tubing and to the stock box would help keep temps low as well.

Dave

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Because forcefed cold air from the grill is better. Turbo's crave cool dense air. A pressurized airbox is the way to go....sorry...but look at what forced air has done to sport bikes the last 10 years. I used to run the little individual filters on each carb (had a CBX--6 carbs! :d) These days they see 5-10+ HP at speed just from that forced air intakes in the nose.

Your CAI's "sound" good....but cant compare with a good pressurized box when it comes to HP at speed. The stocker is very well done (still too much heat)...doing something like the COAM only improves it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Rusty said:
JETninja said:
...(had a CBX--6 carbs! :d) ...
Dude, that rocks! I wonder how many young 'uns know about that bike... I had totally forgotten about it until I saw one in a showroom about a year ago - it was in excellent condition, too.
You would have dug it Rusty....I had one of the first in the country in late '78. Started modding it about a year later (also had an insane RD400 Cafe Bike...idled like a top fueler!) ...I strengthed the chassis, added air to the front and a brace, Koni's in the rear, 6 into 6 Denco Exhuast, Custom paint by Santini....and Nitrous! :D In '80 it was a low 10 second bike on street tires....mid 9's on a grooved RR Tire.....

Whole lot of fun....may pick up another someday...just the sound brings back such memories..

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Here is my 2 cents

A CAI may have a greater improvement on a car that had a poorly designed airbox. The airflow on the passat is pretty good to start with.

When you have a CAI rainy weather is not your best friend (high Possibility of sucking water)

They are noisy

The draw in too much heat and they attract heat most of them us a metal tube the is attached to the TB or the turbo the absorb some of the heat from the engine and raise the tempreture of the incoming air.

plastic and rubber do a much better job of managing heat.

Most passat owners bought their car because they are civilized and quite and we don't want to do many mods to affect that.

·
Registered
292 Posts
angelmadeyoutap said:
What kind of intake is the one from www.evoms.com then?

will it improve HP?
That is the system I am running. Now mind you, I do not have Dyno test, tempature reading or any other scientific proof as to it's effect, but I am sure it is not hurting my performance at all.

I have not had any problems with the filter and I am careful not to over-oil it. I do agree that the noise level increases – slightly – and the heat shield that comes with the system needs improvement, but over all it is a good intake.

The tube from the filter that connects to the MAF is plastic, to help reduce heat, and the installation is quite easy. If you have the OEM grill with openings in it (some come with and some without) you can channel outside or “cold” air directly on to the intake.

Withstanding all the debate about the temperature of the air entering the filter, there is no doubt that the volume of air is increased over the stock box. IMHO more air into the system is a good thing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
jetninja, rusty, My father has a 78 CBX that he bought new. I have memories of riding with him when I was a kid. He put it away in the early 80s and it sat under a cover in the garage until afew years ago when we took it out of storage and got it back into shape. It didnt require much, just replaced all the brake parts and rebuilt the aformentioned 6! carbs. Runs like a champ and sounds incredible. We take it to car shows occationally, its fun to see people walk right by it and then do a triple take when they see the six pipes.

The bike is in my wherehouse, right outside my office here so i went out and got you a pic to help you rember the good old days :D

sorry to hijack the thread guys, YOu just dont see CBXs everyday and I thought these guys would get a kick out of this.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
What JWILL and 20VVILLIAN said, plus what is on site is not cold air intake. It suck with his cone hot air from engine compartment, plus low air pressure (i.e. big pressure drop).

Tests carried out by CB5 member Geri (also Moderator on www.passat3B.de)
Copy of his mail after tests:
"Yes, BMC is realy fantastic! As I said, never had such good amounts on
MAF. You have to know that with the OEM Intake you wont have more then 145-150mg/H at high REVs (measured at two differnet OEM V6s). With the K&N Kone by best ever was a 164mg/H, now I can reach this amount in even low REVs when accelerating. By best amount now is 174mg/H - and this with my old MAF Sensor (the newer one is still on K&N Cone, will change soon). And Airintake-temperature is nearly like outside Temp, only 1 or 2 Deg higher. With OEM Intake you will have about 5 Deg higher Temp than outside. With K&N(open cone filter-simmilar to Evo) the Temp was at high Revs about 15 Deg higher than outside. I was told that a decrease of 10 Deg results in a plus of 3% more Power.....*ggg* In this case OEM Intake is not sooo bad."
BTW, BMC CDA and Evo CAI are t the moment most expensive CAI kits on market. And IMHO, BMC CDA is at the moment only(beside RAID) true CAI

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm using the EVOMS setup on mine and the best part... being able to get to the filter, clean it and reasseble in 5 minutes, plus get to the maf for cleaning in seconds. the stock airbox is kind of a pain for maintenance. I haven't seen an increase or decrease in performance when it comes to heat, but in the winter I did have some issues with snow packing into the filter area can throwing a CEL.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
JB..let me know if you ever want to sell it! I was looking a clean one in Tenn...kina far! :D

A nice filter test (Paper vs Paper vs foam vs K/N and others....)

At www.bobistheoilguy.com

I was a K&N user forever...not so sure now. And foam...NFW.

I certainly don't buy that Air temp either.....fresh air through the snorkel(which does get warmed since the snorkel gets hot) ....or the sitting in the hot engine bay. And were those tests done in a garage, or at 80mph on the highway?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.