Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be in the market for a new intercooler here within the coming weeks. Im starting to do my research and have done some searches and have also read up on what people here have said about their installs.

Hvydrnkr says that going with the Evo MS FMIC is a very nicely built unit. Now, he had a big turbo, and the 1.9L custom engine by DynoSpot. But I want to hear from the masses as to what is best for a future big turbo project. Maybe a custom 2.0L 20v Turbo AEB? Maybe just a 1.8L big turbo. Not sure what's in the car's future. But I dont want to have to go out buying things twice, and from now on, I would prefer only new items.

I've heard that the SPP cores tend to be leaky units and have been known to boost leaks (read HermanH's continuous issues as he always had leaks [iirc] with his SPP core) and would like to prevent myself the hastle and headaches. ABD's unit is nice, but I dont want to broadcast to the world that I am running their intercooler. I want to keep things subtle and not have a bunch of people's names on the car, catch me?

So, fill my mind with your info.

Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
go with what hvy said. I bought his evo ms intercooler...it is sick. I recomend getting a intercooler second to a chip for engine work.

The installation is pretty simple. Only had to remove smog pump on my 2000 1.8t. Took a pretty experienced vw shop to install it (3 hours).

This bitch pulls now. more air is reaching the engine and the sound is great too.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would say go with Evo. The only one thing that I dont like is: you have to relocate smog pump and the bracket they send you is not exactly one u can use. So I made my own one in about 20 min. Other then that it fits perfect. And works amazing u can feel huge difference especially in a hot days. Go with Evo

·
Banned
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. What do people think of the Greddy cooler? Anyone use that unit before? Ive seen that a few of the A4 people use them, but nothing from the Passat crew.

Lou, I'd like to stay away from peicing my own unit together. I would like to have a unit that is able to handle a large charger, such as say, a GT series turbo or something of that sort. I'd love to buy something that is designed for our particular cars.

And again, I dont have to worry about any of the smog stuff, so it should be pretty simple to install the Evoms kit if that's what it comes down to.

Keep the ideas coming,
Steve

·
Registered
972 Posts
I personally have the EVOMS. I bought it second hand from Blownaway with the EFK. I love it. Fitment is great and I think it is a perfect intercooler for a big turbo upgrade. That is exactly why I bought mine. The core is a good size and should keep the turbo running efficient. Behind the stock bumper it is not very visible for that stealth look.

·
Registered
176 Posts
IMNSHO..

greddy has the best looking cores, great put-together from the ones ive seen before/months after install...

if a little cutting bothers you, i guess thats up to you... :wink:

i would go evoms if i was to buy one off the shelf though...

again...JM2C

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.