Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You may or may not have seen me post about the 2000 Passat we just picked up with 89,xxx original miles...the guy we got the car from put a new set of tires on for us as the ones on the car were brand-mismatched "takeoffs" (used) with quite a bit of wear and, well, they sucked to put it bluntly. The car is not my point of this post, the tires are.

The tires are MASTERCRAFT MC-440 A/S (all-season) P195/65R15 tires. Apparently these are made by Cooper Tires, (for Les Schwab I believe) and have all of @60-75 miles on them so far. I will not quote a price but they are VERY reasonably priced.

What a night and day difference between these and those mismatched, worn hags on the wheels on my first test drive.

They are QUIET tires. IMO exceptionally so. Treadwear 400 Traction A Temperature A rated. They also don't have that cheap airtank "ping" or "thoong" resonating sound when you hit bumps or expansion joints, like many other tires, including a set of Continentals that were on our Mazda MilleniaS sedan we had years ago. I hated those Continental tires, BTW...but I digress.

These have a generous tread depth, and are a decent-looking tire for those who desire an OEM sized solution. I pushed the car through an on and offramp cloverleaf, and though there certainly is a bit of "squirm" due to the tread depth, the tires gripped very well. On the FWY the car tracks straight with no tramlining or nasty aural affects from the varying road surface. Bumps are mitigated graciously, and overall there is a feeling of confidence, solidness without any lingering nastiness.

We haven't had it in the water (or frost) yet to assess the A/S aspect, but overall, I'm quite pleased with them. Cooper Tire is one mfg. that I've always admired and an underdog in the industry; and this tire is a WINNER WINNER for someone looking for a budget-but-quality OEM replacement on their B5 Passat.
Hoping to take the car on a roadtrip this week to really give them a better break-in and evaluation. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review... Are they M+S type tires?

I agree - the winter experience will be most interesting. Keep us posted! :)

BTW - my 2004 GLX has P205/55R16 on at this time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are an A/S (all-season) tread design. I would not call them a true M&S tread whatsoever. BTW, you're welcome!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update!

Hi gang! Yesterday I put about 65 miles on the car in a little jaunt (first one since we got the car), with my driving both on sections of the 680 fwy and I80 interstate. Those of you not familiar, there are asphalt and concrete surfaces; bridges, etc with numerous expansion joints (Bay Area); and I was in a few different cities. Many road variations.

What was a bit shocking (and gratifying) was how well the tire masked, or shall I say 'balanced' intrinsic surface noise from these different surfaces. Usually concrete is louder, and with some tires the concrete surfaces are just downright obnoxious in noise and volume increase of said noise. The car we just moved out of (94 Honda Accord EX) has a set of near new tires...and are not this quiet whatsover, not to mention, as forgiving of varying road surfaces. Some uhh, 'spirited' driving at times as the traffic was moving at a "speed-limit-plus" clip...to say the least. (hehe) The tires also maintained a low volume as speed increased.

All in all, what my initial impressions were that I started the post with, were confirmed yesterday...BIGTIME.

A very quiet, confident, comfortable ride.

Can't wait to take this car to Tahoe for a drive...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had good luck with General Altimax RT43's. Liked them so much I put them on the wife's car too. (General is made by Continental)
So glad to hear that they work for you, sirwired! Me- well, we had a set of Continental Premiere Contact+ tires on our prior Mazda (I'm pretty sure that was the tire model), and I disliked them so much that I would avoid another Continental product at all costs. Granted, that was about 10 years ago...CHEERS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts