Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when they say OEM do they mean same as the ones from the vw dealership or oem like?

im just pricing out rear rotors for the passat, any recomendations on pads as well mintex redbox or ferodo street...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I believe 3 different companies supply OEM brake rotors for the Passat.

When I ordered from pottermans, the guys at the dealership said its the exact same ones as their OEMs. I bought Mintex Redboxes when I changed out my rears, and they have been okay, but I'll probably not buy them again. When you first start off, it takes a stop or two to get them heated up, but then they work just fine. Less dust than stock.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I bought the OEMs from them and they turned out to be supplied by ATE. I put these disks on all 4 wheels and added Mintex Red Box and am very pleased with them. At first the Red Box pads seem to not have the initial "bite" of the stock ones, but once broken in they work fine...no squealing like some have reported, and very low dust. A good value for the amount of money invested.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as far as brake upgrading is concerned, im not interested in upgrading my rear brakes, this car is suited just for driving around as a commuter to school, no racing or anything like that is going on, i just dont want cheap ass autozone rotors on this car...thats what i was hoping parts4vw didnt sell...and judging from SteveD saying they are ATE supplied, we will look into those rotors/pads since its $90 for the package deal... :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I'm not sure what the appeal is in the high cost rotors? Can you tell me exactly what's wrong w/ the Autozone rotors? Iron is iron. :weirdo:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
crxgator said:
when they say OEM do they mean same as the ones from the vw dealership or oem like?

im just pricing out rear rotors for the passat, any recomendations on pads as well mintex redbox or ferodo street...
Now if you are just shopping for rear rotors, there's nothing wrong with OEM rotors! OEM components are fabricated to meet manufacturer specifications, and are used a direct bolt-on replacement. Honestly, there's slight differences in the way that some rotors are designed. Some rotors have significantly better venting, which helps with cooling. If you cut open ATE, Brembo, and Disc Brake Australia rotors you will see the differences when comparing to generics.

The venting issue is huge with front rotors which can generate alot of heat in the VW/Audi application, but the rears are more forgiving. IMHO you can go with an OEM plain-face in the rear, but select a quality rotor and pad combo for your fronts.

Don't even waste your money on rotors from Tirerack!! Their selection is overpriced, especially for EBC, Powerslot and Brembo rotors. I highly recommend using ATE Pwerdisc rotors up front and plain-faced in the rear with PBR/Axxis Metal Master or Ultimate pads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stealthx32 said:
I'm not sure what the appeal is in the high cost rotors? Can you tell me exactly what's wrong w/ the Autozone rotors? Iron is iron. :weirdo:
actually your wrong...i worked at autozone, and the rotors are cheap POS...one rotor they sell is a bi-metal which is horrible since it would warp really easy since two different metals have different heat ranges and so forth. and the more expensive rotor, well its garbage...the only thing i buy from autozone is CV axles, balljoints, tierods since they all have a lifetime warrenty...where as the cheap POS rotors have 3 mo...

i just wanted to make sure that parts4vw werent selling relabeled autozone rotors... 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
crxgator
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing