Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was at the dealer the other day and took a 04 Touareg for a spin, it had Navi and all the bells and whistles, I notice that alot of the small streets did not show up, is that just cause the maps are dated or just need to push a button to get them to show up. I looked on Navteq site and it shows my road even(live in the middle of nowhere).

So outdated disk(all there road I was looking for have been there since 2004) or something else.

2,551 Posts
If the '04 touareg uses the cd-based navigation system, the maps are pretty limited. Only the major roads will have the names written on the map. If you want to find out the name of the street you are currently on, you have to press button to do that. If you want to see the name of a street that is on the map, you have to move the crosshairs to that street and the name will appear (in a different map view setting).

I believe the dvd based navigation is better, and can be swapped pretty easily. like vw makes a kit to do it.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
^^^ what he said. cd-based navi's are no good. lack of functioanlity, detail, and poi's.

i swapped my oem navi for aftermarket and have had no regrets considering prices were similiar (aftermarket was actually cheaper believe it or not).

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
i think anyone here will say that oem navi is not that great compared to aftermarket. was once an oem navi owner, not anymore.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, my next question is, I looked on Navteq website and the maps seems real good, is the news version(for b6 passat(DVD)) that good or not. Wondering if my dealer has one with navi on the lot.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
i would never ever get a cd based setup that can never be updated, it gets outdated.
take a look at how much those updated CD's are from VW.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
ok, my next question is, I looked on Navteq website and the maps seems real good, is the news version(for b6 passat(DVD)) that good or not. Wondering if my dealer has one with navi on the lot.
The new ones for VW and Audi are DVD based, and are very detailed. Only draw back is that you need a new DVD every couple of years.

I LOVE the OEM nav + in our Audi. It is accurate, has a clean look, and serves many purposes: radio, cd, nav, blue tooth, also has to SD slots (so no need for an Ipod) all in great looking OEM fit and finish. You also get info into where the MFA info is as well. :thumbup:

with an aftermarket Garmin you risk getting it stolen, broken when you remove from vehicle ect...

I personally will NEVER get a new car with out nav.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
While my OEM navi is ancient by today's standards I still find it usefull and would get one again. Of course this time it would be DVD based.:)

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I will let the cat out of the bag, I have navigation, Currently running a Touareg Unit in my B5. Its great, but my road does not show up. I was just wondering if I could see how detailed my area is on a DVD so I can justify the cost of selling what I have and upgrading.

2,551 Posts
Ok, I will let the cat out of the bag, I have navigation, Currently running a Touareg Unit in my B5. Its great, but my road does not show up. I was just wondering if I could see how detailed my area is on a DVD so I can justify the cost of selling what I have and upgrading.
hey good to hear! did you follow dvsails writeup on installing the touareg navi into the b5?

i actually bought his unit. I love it in my b5.5. it's not as nice as other dvd based units, but I find it sufficient and use it all the time (esp in NJ where the roads and highways make no sense!). I was thinking about swapping it out for the dvd based unit since I would think it would be an easy swap, but I can't justify it.

I would imagine that it would probably cost the same to you to either swap out into a dvd unit (recouping cost by selling current one) and buying a new cd set, which would probably have you're street on it now!

let us know what you decided and some pics if you get the dvd unit!

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya its alittle different, the wiring does not support can bus so it makes things tougher. I have to finish the faceplate and the tub then I will have pics.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
sell it. i'm not sure if the t-reg unit is same as the oem navi's in the b5s in europe but if so, i'd swap it. i sold mine for the avic d2 which can be bought for the same price or LESS as the oem navi and i have no regrets. multiple map views, updated millions of point of interests, ability to zoom on maps with street names, and most importantly... able to play CDs (dont' have to swap out map like the oem unit) makes it 100x better imo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Touareg unit is a MFD-2 and uses DVDs instead of the MFD version G which uses CDROMs? These Audi maps are DVD I assume and wouldn't work in a MFD version G?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Touareg unit is a MFD-2 and uses DVDs instead of the MFD version G which uses CDROMs? These Audi maps are DVD I assume and wouldn't work in a MFD version G?
There are two types of MFD2

MFd2 - CD uses 10 CDs for US and Canada(had this and sucked)

MFd2- DVD which uses 1 DVD for Us and Canada

RNS-E which is Audi, not sure how different it is from MFD2 DVD, but its nice.

I doubt that you could take a Touareg CD and get it to load on the MFD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts