Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Nope.

Some people hack a Europian model, but it is expensive and still leaves you with a small screen and some problems.

You can always go aftermarket with a nice 7" screen, you can usually get DVD and video games out of that screen too. Or you can always put a Garmin on the dash like I did :thumbup:

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Paradigm said:
Nope.

Some people hack a Europian model, but it is expensive and still leaves you with a small screen and some problems.

You can always go aftermarket with a nice 7" screen, you can usually get DVD and video games out of that screen too. Or you can always put a Garmin on the dash like I did :thumbup:
Expensive...maybe now. I paid $850 for the whole package. You need hook ups.

And you can run a TV, DVDs, and Video games off it too. It currently has to be PAL version, but the NTSC version according to Dietz is coming out in late June. There is also some USA companies that has a NTSC version, but it is $500. I will wait for the $150 Dietz version.

The screen is small, but I plan to give entertainment to my passengers with some large monitors. For now, the 5" is fine. To each their own, my other car has a full system with a 6.5 touch screen, PS2, DVD player, and rear 6" head rest monitors. Depends if you want OEM or not.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
OCTICK said:
Expensive...maybe now. I paid $850 for the whole package. You need hook ups.

And you can run a TV, DVDs, and Video games off it too. It currently has to be PAL version, but the NTSC version according to Dietz is coming out in late June. There is also some USA companies that has a NTSC version, but it is $500. I will wait for the $150 Dietz version.

The screen is small, but I plan to give entertainment to my passengers with some large monitors. For now, the 5" is fine. To each their own, my other car has a full system with a 6.5 touch screen, PS2, DVD player, and rear 6" head rest monitors. Depends if you want OEM or not.
$850? I've heard of people paying $2,000-3,000, and that's for used equipment :shock:

As for using it as a TV or DVD player, I've heard that the resolution is very low, but maybe you can shed more light on it.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Paradigm said:
$850? I've heard of people paying $2,000-3,000, and that's for used equipment :shock:

As for using it as a TV or DVD player, I've heard that the resolution is very low, but maybe you can shed more light on it.
This was a while back for a GB and now the Euro has gone crazy. I have thought about selling it to get the new Panasonic. Why you want it for $2,000? Comes with 2004 disks. :wink:

As for the resolution, I am sure it is compariable to most 5" monitors. I didn't purchase it to watch movies or play cames on. I did it for a OEM look and Navi. For the price, I think I made out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After market is def a better way to go. IF all you did was sit in your car. There is sooooo much stuff that an aftermarket unit can do, it's crazy. I like the OEM one because it looks so clean and it serves it's purpose just fine. I drive my car... i don't have time to watch DVD's or play video games, thats what I do in the house. Oem is simple clean and you get resale from it too.

I only have a nickel... anyone got change?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.