Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Sorry but I tried looking this up in the search but everytime I see something helpful it says its been disabled! Anyway, Q's are as below:-

1) 03 Passat - 'G' version MFD? Plug 'n' Play correct?
2) Do the steering controls and DIS display work with the Nav Unit?
3) Can I utilise any GPS antenna (VDO, Blaupunkt etc.)?
4) There is software in Australia for the Touareg but it says that its for the RNS2 (Touareg, Golf V etc) unit? Will it work in the previous models?
5) What is the sound qulity of this unit like? I fI use a decent line level converter, would it be reasonable to anticipate good sound?

Thanks guys. I have the option of buying a unit from Germany in the next 24 hours so I need some answers and you guys seem to be the guru's. I appreciate all the help I can get... :bow:

Cheers
Ram

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
1) Should be plug and play
2) Not sure, but they should work
3) Yes
4) No, you have to get software specific to the older unit, the newer units use a different database
5) Sounds about like all the other VW radios, no major difference.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the words of wisdom. Apprently the new nav systems can utilise the discs from the Blaupunkt DX series. Which probably confirms what you are saying, in that the older units need their own discs... Which means I cannot utilise this unit... I really, really wanted to ... :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently the R32 that comes into Australia is equipped with the Nav Unit & the W8 Passat is equipped with the MCD unit. Would either of these software for this unit work? :???:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Same as jwill except for number 5. I hear a HUGE difference in the sound now. The bass has a much more powerful kick to it and the treble is much more powerful. Its lacking in the mid department, but overrall, I like the new sound. I can actually feel the bass now. Good luck with your MFD!

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
iconnx said:
Apparently the R32 that comes into Australia is equipped with the Nav Unit & the W8 Passat is equipped with the MCD unit. Would either of these software for this unit work? :???:
The units in the R32 should be functionally iedentical to the MFD for the Passat, I believe it's just slightly older with different connectors, though it may be the same G version as current European Passats.

·
Registered
78 Posts
iconnx said:
Hi guys.

Sorry but I tried looking this up in the search but everytime I see something helpful it says its been disabled! Anyway, Q's are as below:-

1) 03 Passat - 'G' version MFD? Plug 'n' Play correct?
2) Do the steering controls and DIS display work with the Nav Unit?
3) Can I utilise any GPS antenna (VDO, Blaupunkt etc.)?
4) There is software in Australia for the Touareg but it says that its for the RNS2 (Touareg, Golf V etc) unit? Will it work in the previous models?
5) What is the sound qulity of this unit like? I fI use a decent line level converter, would it be reasonable to anticipate good sound?

Thanks guys. I have the option of buying a unit from Germany in the next 24 hours so I need some answers and you guys seem to be the guru's. I appreciate all the help I can get... :bow:

Cheers
Ram
1- NO! A/B/C/D/G back connectors are the SAME!!! You still need an adapter unless you have a Single-Din...
2- If your car has a Double-Din, then they will work if you add TMC-Box...
3- Any GPS antenna with RG174 cable & SMB connector will work...
4- I'm not sure on this, but it should work... The Maps that most poeple use here mentioned the Touareg in one of the files... I will post some info as soon as a some one send me his CD to see...
5- At least in my car, MORE BASS!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay, I have a couple of questions to add as I'm about to buy a version G for my 2003 with Monsoon. One - will the current Monsoon amp work? Two - What is a TMC-Box? I thought G's with an '03 worked with the steering wheel controls out of the box. Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Thanks for the info GTI. But I am now totally confused.... :???: To my understanding the TMC box is for Dynamic real time Traffic Management. What does that have to do with the steering controls and DIS display? So, would the D version still work with the steering controls? I have read otherwise somewhere ... (if only the zeroforums weren't disabled!) I want my steering controls to work and also my DIS, cause if I am going to sacrifice sound quality form my current HU, then at least (I figure) let me have my full functionality for the car! My car did not come witht he Monsoon, it came with the Gamma and the In Dash 6 Disc changer (which I am made to understand fits the MFD) so I figured (being a single din HU, it would be plug and play). I thought the 'G' version, being CAN-BUS, would utilise the steering controls and DIS functions. Could someone please HELP clarify? Please... :???:

·
Registered
78 Posts
iconnx said:
My car did not come witht he Monsoon, it came with the Gamma and the In Dash 6 Disc changer
Good, If your factory radio is Gamma, then you need the D version... Gamma radio DON'T understand Can-Bus at all... If you get the D version, it will be almost "plug-n-play"... Just add the GPS antenna and the 26pin connector (assuming that your gamma already have GALA for volume)... Everything will just work as before (FIS, steering...etc) without any modifications... The G version will work if you put the D firmware (i'm not sure if this can be done, but i put the G firmware into my D without any problems)...

TMC-Box is (Traffic Message Channel) or something like that... It's to warn you about any traffic jam or accedints...etc. It's useless in the USA, but it's the only device that understand your Can-Bus and then it "translate" the Can-Bus info so the MFD will understand it...

I'm not sure if this can be done or not, but i will "try" couple tricks to make the steering wheel controls (Double-Din) works with D version without the TMC-Box thing...

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks GTi. I unfortunately have already purchased the 'G' unit (sounds like 50cents new CD!) because everyone else said that I need the G for the 03 Passats.... Now, I read in your response that you recoded the firmware of your G to D... Why would I need to do that? Isnt that really for the software disk? As in the Map CD? Ok. I have just cheacked the pinouts on the Gamma and you are right... No CAN-BUS. So how did these communicate with the Steering Controls and DIS display? And how do I rewire a G to fit the Gamma plug? TIA!

Cheers
Ram

·
Registered
78 Posts
iconnx said:
Thanks GTi. I unfortunately have already purchased the 'G' unit (sounds like 50cents new CD!) because everyone else said that I need the G for the 03 Passats.... Now, I read in your response that you recoded the firmware of your G to D... Why would I need to do that? Isnt that really for the software disk? As in the Map CD? Ok. I have just cheacked the pinouts on the Gamma and you are right... No CAN-BUS. So how did these communicate with the Steering Controls and DIS display? And how do I rewire a G to fit the Gamma plug? TIA!

Cheers
Ram
Ram...
I have the D version and i put the G firmware in it... Not sure if the D firmare will work in the G version... I "heared" that the G version will not support the three lines for the FIS since it will do it in the Can-Bus... But, you can try it before doing the firmware thing... The firmware is done by a diffrent CD (not the map CD)... Notice that few people have bad results when doing the firmware thing... Email me if you need a copy of the firmware...

Check out the picture of the MFD... Your Gamma should mtach this picture... There is a pin named "Display" in this picture (in the back of your radio, it should be the green connector, when you unplug this connector, the FIS and the steering will not work in your Gamma)... This pin is used for three things.
1- Steering wheel control (REM).
2- FIS (Clock/Data/Enable).
3- Telephone in (+/-)...

Wiring is not hard at all... You need the following parts:
1- 3B0 919 754 (26 pin connector).
2- 000 979 010 (pins for that connector)
All what you have to do is to run a wire from pin#4 in the 26 pin connector to pin#4 in the black connector (the lower connector in the back of your Gamma radio). Another wire should goes from pin#5 of the 26 pin connector to pin#1 of the back connector (again, the lower connector)... That's it!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gti ... you have no idea how grateful I am with yor help here... SO sorry to be such a bother :poke: but I am going to ask you a few more q's (if you dont mind...!)

Anyway, ok, I understand that the G version isnt really going to be a problem with the steering controls or the main connections re: functionality, thats obviously the easy part. The DIS/FIS display however seems to be a different kettle of fish! So, when you say that the G unit deciphers its FIS via CAN-BUS, does that mean that the G version MFD does NOT have the clock/data connection? Because by my deduction, if it does and thats what the cl/da line is utilised for then it still SHOULD work....tentatively... nothing's for sure here of course! :) But if it doesnt have the CL/DA connections then DAMN! no FIS, correct? SO then does the TMC box come into play? Is this what I need to get in order to get the FIS/DIS working again?

Next issue. I see that you have (and correct me if I'm wrong) connected pin 4 (KL 15) to which? Pin 4. GALA? and DFA-L to +Ve (Ub)? Or do I have it mixed up? What about the wire that is tapped from behind the speedo (white/blue) that you are warned NOT to connect if you have GALA? If GALA is available then I would presume that the NAV unit presumably takes its impulse signal from the GALA pin. So why the need to connect it up to the cam locked 26 pin plug? And what is the other wire? Do you know what its for?

Final questions, I noticed on the Gamma and the pin out for the MFD that you posted here, there is a line out. Which means I do not need to get a line level converter (YIPPEE!!!!) so I am not degrading the sound at all. Where from bro? Could you recommend a place for the harness, or would VW have it? Tel + & -, how do I wire these up? Is this so that your HF Phone kit utilises the internal amplification circuit (thereby using the main speakers)?

Again thanks a lot Gti. I would also like to discuss how you guys got your maps working, becasue no one in Australai can confrim map data one way or the other... I know I can get my hands on a german MAp CD, and also the AUstralian AUDI Map CDs... but am not wuite sure how to go about it to put it all together....

Cheers :)
Ram

this is what confuses me ... (see post from TDICLUB by SVTWEB)

Well.. I hope you got it for a good price. I think you will be able to unload it quickly. I have found that the 2002.5 and later cars are the most difficult vehicles to install the NAV unit into. Specifically, you have a "D" version nav system. That is designed to be connected to a car that uses the "K" wire on the stereo. Because your car is a 2003, there is no "K" Wire, along with there being several other changes to the vehicle wiring harness. The version that you need for a near perfect PnP installation is a "G" version. IM me if you would like more information.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ram...

All units has the same back connector with Data/Clock/Enable pins... But according to some people in the UK, they lost the FIS functiality by swtiching to the G firmware... And yes, the G firmware is to "disable" the Clock/Data/Enable pins and make them run into the Can-Bus network... The TMC-Box will be use less in your case... Maybe you can run new wires to your existing Can-Bus wires, but i'm not sure it this can be done...

No... The picture is up-side down... The 20pin connector (CD/Display/Line out) is actually in the top of your current Gamma or the MFD... The one on the top (TEL MUTE, GALA...etc) is the balck connector i'm talking about (lower connector in both Gamma and MFD)... The KL-15 is the swtiched 12v, so it should goes to S-Kont (wich is the swtiched 12v as well)... The other wire (DAF-L) is the speed sinse wire... In the USA/Canada, we DON'T get the GALA function in the radio (the function that increase the volume when you speed up)... Thats why we have to take it from the cluster... Some Euro car comes with GALA to the radio from the factory... Do you have this feature? If yes, then no need to remove your cluster... Just connect the DAF-L to pin#1 in the black connector (check pin#1 on the diagram on your Gamma, it should be GALA, ALM or empty)... If pin#1 in your car is ALM or empty, then you need to get GALA from your cluster... If you focus, you will find that MFD is actually two parts... Upper part is the Navigation unit while the lower part is the Radio unit... The GALA goes to the back connector to increase the volume when you speed up... The Gala in the 26-pin connector is to inform the MFD that you are moving so it will Navigate... Same thing in the other wire...

In your third question, I'm not sure what do you mean by first part... But i've added Ericsson car kit into the MFD... Most of the new car kits comes with feature called (radio mute) or something like that... It will give 12V when you make/receive call... All what you have to do is to connect the radio mute to TEL MUTE pin (pin#2 in the black connector)... By doing this, the MFD will mute when you make/receive calls and it will display "PHONE" in the screen... To get sound from your car's speaker, simply cut the speakers wire (that came with the car-kit) and connect it to TEL+/TEL- (make sure of the +/- wires that comming from your kit by using a voltmeter)... The sound is AMAZING and you can control it like you are adjusting the Radio/CD volume...

You don't need the German maps... If you have the Audi maps (D-Navi maps), email me... I will tell you how to make them works in your MFD... BTY, the Touareg name in mentioned in one of the nav files i use for my MFD... So, i assume it will work...

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You sir, are a true champion .... :D . The world is truly a more wonderful palce with the likes of you .... :bow: :thumbup:

Yes I have GALA. SO I would have no need to take it from the cluster. I will meanwhile, investigate the FIS feature (with CAN BUS) and see how I can get it to work, otherwise its time ot buy that Enhanced DIS unit form Germany that lets you know temps, oil pressure etc. ;) I suspect however, that CAN-BUs being what it is, may be as simple as tapping into a CANBUS connection just about anywhere. But gotta find where first.... Now just to reconfirm, KL15 (being ignotion / acc. power) must go to pin #7 (not Pin#4, because that is Power CONSTANT) being S-Kont, and DFA_L must go to GALA (Pin #1) ... And once I have the maps, I will, in due course my good sir, email you! I must at this point say a BIG thank you for all your efforts in explaining all of this to a VW n00b...

Cheers
Ram

·
Registered
78 Posts
No... Pin#4 is the acc power and pin#7 is the constant power... So:
KL-15 --> S-Kont.............(Pin#4 --> Pin#4)
Daf-L --> GALA................(Pin#5 --> Pin#1)

The "Ub" pin is the constant pin, the pin just above it (pin#8 ) is the ground... You can test for that if you have a voltmeter...

Hope that help!
:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts