Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is an 01+ intercooler bigger than a 98? will it work with out mods? WILL AN RS6 SIDEMOUNT IC FIT???? if the rs6 intercooler works i'm all over it. i have to buy a new one anyways, insurance is paying so what should i do? they are only allowing me around $180 which is the price to replace mine(98 1.8t giac k04)

·
Registered
678 Posts
can't you put the money towards a fmic? Uprating the smic will give you a little more heatsink capacity but its still not enough for the hp you will be pumping with the KO4. The location of the smic is a pig.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Wal is right, the location of the smic is less than desirable. But there are a couple folks here that have successfully transplanted a RS4 SMIC into their Passat with a K04 and have had nothing but good things to say. But is that the truth or is that just because that's all they know? Either way the RS4 SMIC is a better IC that the stock unit. The stock IC isn't the best unit out there. The RS4 unit isn't a direct replacement, but it's close and with some creative brackets, it'll work well. It has to be better than the stock one. :???: :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
1.8tbeout said:
is an 01+ intercooler bigger than a 98? will it work with out mods? WILL AN RS6 SIDEMOUNT IC FIT???? if the rs6 intercooler works i'm all over it. i have to buy a new one anyways, insurance is paying so what should i do? they are only allowing me around $180 which is the price to replace mine(98 1.8t giac k04)
:cry: Man, I've been there.. There isn't a side mounted intercooler upgrade that will fit your ride. I looked at units for the S4 for my GTI, but the hose locations and mounting brackets were in different locations. If you have the extra ends, you might want to invest in a Front Mounted Intercooler.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah, the RS4 one is the one you want. But it'll require a bit of trimming and such. You should be able to install it fairly easily except you'll need to tap into it or add a pipe with a MAP(pressure) sensor, since the RS4 has the MAP somewhere else.

If I ever get around to an intercooler upgrade, it'll be what I do. I just haven't seen enough compelling evidence that the FMIC's are worth the extra cost, unless you get one used at a good price.

I honestly think this would be a very popular upgrade if someone was willing to do it and do a good writeup about the process. Maybe that someone will be me someday...

-Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts