Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Just bought a VERY good condition 1999 B5 Variant with full records. Just about the only thing that hasn't been done on this car is a clutch.
How long should the OEM clutch last? It engages what I think very late in the travel (even compared to wife's BMW 525, which engages pretty late), which tells me it's worn out. Doesn't slip or chatter, so not problems there.
Thanks. :confused:

C.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The B5's clutch engages late. Since it is self-adjusting, the engagement point isn't any indication of clutch wear. When it starts to slip, then worry about it.

Easy clutch test: With the engine @ 2500 or so and the car in 5th, just floor it. This puts max strain on your clutch without doing any enforced slip.

As far as life goes? Your Milage May Vary. Anywhere from 20k-150k or so.

SirWired

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I would think clutch life would depend heavily on how it has been used/abused. I have a 2001.5 GLX and I don't abuse my clutch. 55K miles so far and no problems. And, yeah, the clutch engages pretty late. Took me a long time to get used to that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
it engages so late that yea, i def killed the car the first few times i drove it. after the first day or so i was used to it and things have been fine ever since. i love my car. :cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I figured as much. I even remember driving an early 80's Rabbit, and it also engaged very late. Guess it's a VeeDub thing.
Mine has 105k mi, and think it has been driven respectfully all its life. Should I go ahead and change the tranny fluid? I've read the threads on changing it, and it doesn't seem that bad, I guess as long as you get that tool to get the bolt out.
Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts