Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had several requests for information from a previous post ( http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221138 ), I've put together the following DIY.
OEM Bi-Xenon Headlight Retrofit

Required
OEM Bi-xenon Headlights 3C0 941 753 J and 3C0 941 754 J
The lights were acquired from SteveZ1 http://www.passatworld.com/forums/member.php?u=15888 . They were in pristine condition and very well packaged upon arrival. I mention this because Steve has indicated he may have access to more lights in the future if there is interest.

Kufatec 14-10 pin adapter harness. These were supplied with the lights, but are available directly from Kufatec.
http://shop.kufatec.de/product....html
Though thus far they have been non-responsive to emails.

Under Hood
1. Disconnect battery, loosen battery retention clip and remove battery from car.
2. The front and rear pieces of the battery box can be unclipped and removed. This should expose the main harness penetration through the firewall.
3. The harness is routed starting from the right headlight across the front of the car to the left light. From there it runs along the left side then between the battery and fuse box to the firewall. There are alternate routing options and Kufatec may have a suggested routing, but I was unable to secure any assistance from them and my harness contained no instructions.
4. Disconnect the vehicle wiring harness from the headlights and attach the Kufatec harness. Connect to new head lights.

Interior
1. Remove cover from under side driver’s side foot well – 3 torx screws
2. Disconnect foot well light and serial communications port, set cover aside as you will need as much room as possible.
3. Feed the wires through the fire wall at the position of your choosing. There are several points adjacent to the main harness.
4. You will need to integrate the Kufatec harness into two connectors on the central electronics controller (CEC), those being D and A. These connections send the signal to headlights to activate the hi-beam shutter. To release these connectors from the CEC, slide the locking lever to the open position. You should now be able to easily pull the connector(s) out. Once the connector is removed you should see a purple locking clip (photo below) which you need to remove prior to populating the required pin.
a. Connector D pin 6 for the left headlight
b. Connector A pin 5 for the left headlight

Assembly is reverse, be sure to lock the main locking bar on the CEC

At this point I chose to make the VAG-COM changes to ensure that the new lights would function prior to dismantling the front of the car. So I temporarily reconnected the battery, tested everything and once verified as working, removed again

VAG-COM
The software makes the process fairly obvious:
In addition to what is shown below, there may be a requirement to deactivate the cold diagnosis on the high beams, though I did not and have not received any bulb faults.

Front Bumper
Removal isn’t too bad, not too good either, but it is time consuming. The diagram below is from the shop manual and shows what has to be removed. To get to the bolts shown in the out-take diagram and picture below you have to remove a least a portion of the fender liners. This can be done turning the front wheels but I elected to remove them completely. Prior to fully detaching the bumper be sure to disconnect all electrical connections. Once the bumper is removed and set aside you will be able to access the lights and removal is obvious. Once the old lights are out look at the spacers through which the main attachment bolts pass (see photo below). These are adjustable for depth. I’m not sure if it is necessary, but I matched their adjustment on the new lights to that of the old prior to installing. Assembly is reverse. Alignment of the bumper will be easier if you have help, although I did not and it was still possible

This is all done from memory and if I forgot something, I apologize and will try to answer any questions.

Thanks to 2L16vT for the pointers on the bumper cover removal and to hragsarkissian for info on bi-xenon functionality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having had several requests for information from a previous post ( Who's interested in OEM Bi-Xenon Factory Upgrades ), I've put together the following DIY.
OEM Bi-Xenon Headlight Retrofit

Required
OEM Bi-xenon Headlights 3C0 941 753 J and 3C0 941 754 J
The lights were acquired from SteveZ1 Steve Z1 . They were in pristine condition and very well packaged upon arrival. I mention this because Steve has indicated he may have access to more lights in the future if there is interest.

Kufatec 14-10 pin adapter harness. These were supplied with the lights, but are available directly from Kufatec.
http://shop.kufatec.de/product....html
Though thus far they have been non-responsive to emails.

Under Hood
1. Disconnect battery, loosen battery retention clip and remove battery from car.
2. The front and rear pieces of the battery box can be unclipped and removed. This should expose the main harness penetration through the firewall.
3. The harness is routed starting from the right headlight across the front of the car to the left light. From there it runs along the left side then between the battery and fuse box to the firewall. There are alternate routing options and Kufatec may have a suggested routing, but I was unable to secure any assistance from them and my harness contained no instructions.
4. Disconnect the vehicle wiring harness from the headlights and attach the Kufatec harness. Connect to new head lights.

Interior
1. Remove cover from under side driver’s side foot well – 3 torx screws
2. Disconnect foot well light and serial communications port, set cover aside as you will need as much room as possible.
3. Feed the wires through the fire wall at the position of your choosing. There are several points adjacent to the main harness.
4. You will need to integrate the Kufatec harness into two connectors on the central electronics controller (CEC), those being D and A. These connections send the signal to headlights to activate the hi-beam shutter. To release these connectors from the CEC, slide the locking lever to the open position. You should now be able to easily pull the connector(s) out. Once the connector is removed you should see a purple locking clip (photo below) which you need to remove prior to populating the required pin.
a. Connector D pin 6 for the left headlight
b. Connector A pin 5 for the left headlight

Assembly is reverse, be sure to lock the main locking bar on the CEC

At this point I chose to make the VAG-COM changes to ensure that the new lights would function prior to dismantling the front of the car. So I temporarily reconnected the battery, tested everything and once verified as working, removed again

VAG-COM
The software makes the process fairly obvious:
In addition to what is shown below, there may be a requirement to deactivate the cold diagnosis on the high beams, though I did not and have not received any bulb faults.

Front Bumper
Removal isn’t too bad, not too good either, but it is time consuming. The diagram below is from the shop manual and shows what has to be removed. To get to the bolts shown in the out-take diagram and picture below you have to remove a least a portion of the fender liners. This can be done turning the front wheels but I elected to remove them completely. Prior to fully detaching the bumper be sure to disconnect all electrical connections. Once the bumper is removed and set aside you will be able to access the lights and removal is obvious. Once the old lights are out look at the spacers through which the main attachment bolts pass (see photo below). These are adjustable for depth. I’m not sure if it is necessary, but I matched their adjustment on the new lights to that of the old prior to installing. Assembly is reverse. Alignment of the bumper will be easier if you have help, although I did not and it was still possible

This is all done from memory and if I forgot something, I apologize and will try to answer any questions.

Thanks to 2L16vT for the pointers on the bumper cover removal and to hragsarkissian for info on bi-xenon functionality.
Hi ..do you still have the photos ?!?!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The post is almost 14 years old and the last time the member was here was nine years ago, just sayin'...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 2010 Passat B6 the PO installed bi xenon headlights but the car doesn’t have a high line CCM in it so he didn’t wire the high beams / flash to pass
What’s the highline CCM part number?
Does anyone have pics of what needs to be wired from the headlights also?

thanks in advance!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts