Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there ppl,

I know many people recommend higher quality axles as a replacement over new china or reman napa style axles.

A few people also mentioned that junk yard axles can be good finds too. While there is a diy yard near me, I had another idea.
I was just wondering if it is a viable option to purchase used OEM axles off ebay. I think it helps to know that many passats are hitting the scrap yard for other reasons.

I am able to find used OEM axles for less than $100. Are they worth it? Should I bring these to a reman shop?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Any purchase from eBay is only as good as the individual seller wants to be. Some are wonderful, some are crooks, and some go both ways according to the day. I would be very suspicious of axles on eBay. Please note that OEM doesn't mean original parts; sometimes they're just from who the seller thinks VW gets them from. And sometimes they're from Ohmygosh Excellent Manufacturing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the only reason I ask is that the shaft looks much more solid and bears the vw/audi symbols/part number.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Oh, they look (in the picture) OK? Well then, success is assured! (GRIN). As i said, it's all a crapshoot - pretend you're buying at an outdoor flea market, on a Sunday, from someone you've never seen before. I say this as the veteran of nearly 1,000 eBay transactions.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I purchased a pair of used A4 genuine axles on eBay. They were about $60 each, but those axles were used across several platforms (B6, B7, B8 maybe), so they are somewhat abundant. I haven't had any issues with them at all. But there is no guarantee you'd have the same experience, for reasons scotts13 explained. However, if you'd receive an aftermarket axle labeled as original/genuine, you could get your money back and even ship it back at seller's expense.

·
Registered
877 Posts
A lot of salvage yards sell used VW parts on ebay and generally provide a 30-day warranty on the parts. Ebay also has PayPal Buyer Protection so you should run all of your transactions through PayPal, although I don't think they have any other options to pay for items other than PayPal these days. In any case, you can be assured that you won't get screwed by the seller if you get faulty or incorrect parts. Ebay's got your back.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Possibly. Depends on the salvage yard and whether they've got one pair or twelve pairs of axles to get rid of.

If it's only one axle and they're showing a couple of close up photos with the factory tag (yes these stay in-tact...even after 140K), and they state in the auction "what is pictured is what you are buying" then yes.

Problem with buying anything from a salvage yard that posts an ebay auction is that if you're not present to pick it up after paying fot it, they have so many parts for a '99-'05 Passat, that you may not be getting exactly what was pictured in the auction (got CV boot inspection? ;) ).

Caveat Emptor on steroids...

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Somebody selling used parts for what appears to be a reasonable used-parts price is generally pretty safe. Now, the seller may be mistaken, but counterfeit parts really are not THAT major a problem from just some part-out. (As in, most people with axle failures will have re-grinds or Generic Chinese Axles installed.) Few shops go to the trouble to mail-order counterfeit "genuine" parts when they can just pick up the Real Thing from a local dealer and charge the customer likewise.

Where you have to take the seller's assurances with a grain of salt is when they are allegedly selling a "genuine new VW" part for a suspiciously-low price. Random trim pieces? Sure. But maintenance drivetrain parts like axles? Yeah, I don't think so. I remember one eBay sale where the seller was selling a "Genuine VW Part", but for some reason in some random no-name packaging, and direct-shipping from China. Yeah, and if you believe that part was The Real Thing, I'll direct-ship you an iconic suspension bridge from Brooklyn.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had success for one year now with GSP Chinese axles purchased on Amazon prime. They were about $50 each (maybe less, if memory serves) shipped.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've had success for one year now with GSP Chinese axles purchased on Amazon prime. They were about $50 each (maybe less, if memory serves) shipped.
Chinese axles are a crapshoot at best. My first pair of replacement axles were purchased locally at a shop that specialized in axles and steering racks. They lasted about three years. Since then I have purchased three other sets of Chinese axles that were absolute crap. One set literally fell apart while I was trying to install it. The others only lasted a couple of months before starting to make a lot of noise. I eventually bought a set from Raxles that cost me a lot since I had no core exchanges. One of the outer joints went bad several years later, which I replaced with a GKN joint.

Nowadays I only replace the boots instead of the entire axle. I inspect the joint and determine if I need to replace it while everything's apart. One of the outer joints was noticeably worn so I ordered a new one. In the meantime I installed the new boot and put everything back together until the new joint arrived. New joints generally come with new boots, clamps, washers, etc. It's not a difficult job, but it can get extremely messy as the joint grease is quite tenacious and gets all over everything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chinese axles are a crapshoot at best. My first pair of replacement axles were purchased locally at a shop that specialized in axles and steering racks. They lasted about three years. Since then I have purchased three other sets of Chinese axles that were absolute crap. One set literally fell apart while I was trying to install it. The others only lasted a couple of months before starting to make a lot of noise. I eventually bought a set from Raxles that cost me a lot since I had no core exchanges. One of the outer joints went bad several years later, which I replaced with a GKN joint.

Nowadays I only replace the boots instead of the entire axle. I inspect the joint and determine if I need to replace it while everything's apart. One of the outer joints was noticeably worn so I ordered a new one. In the meantime I installed the new boot and put everything back together until the new joint arrived. New joints generally come with new boots, clamps, washers, etc. It's not a difficult job, but it can get extremely messy as the joint grease is quite tenacious and gets all over everything.
How much do the GKN kits cost? What part number for our cars? I have a b5 01 v6 auto.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looking at ebay it appears some axles identified as oem are not. Rusty shafts and a lack of a label indicate aftermarket to me. BTW Galadar, what happened to your original axle? Part numbers for 2000 AHA/ATQ FWD Tip are confusing. My old Etka list three numbers for each side. Left: 8D0 407 271 BC, 451 JX, 417 F Right: 8D0 407 272 BC, 452 JX, 418 F; without annotation. Anyone know what the differences are? Which for AHA, which for ATQ? VIN splits?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at ebay it appears some axles identified as oem are not. Rusty shafts and a lack of a label indicate aftermarket to me. BTW Galadar, what happened to your original axle? Part numbers for 2000 AHA/ATQ FWD Tip are confusing. My old Etka list three numbers for each side. Left: 8D0 407 271 BC, 451 JX, 417 F Right: 8D0 407 272 BC, 452 JX, 418 F; without annotation. Anyone know what the differences are? Which for AHA, which for ATQ? VIN splits?

Hey Bill, thanks for the response.

My current axles are the original I think. Both Inner boots are torn and vibrating. The outer boots are cracking(dry rot). I am certain they are OEM.
I believe I am way past a simple reboot as this has been this way for almost a year, if not more.

I did look up my VIN at parts.vw.com and it returned me with the two of the three you had mentioned.

LEFT
8D0 407 271 BC
8D0 407 451 JX (newer part#)

RIGHT
8D0 407 272 BC
8D0 407 452 JX (newer part#)

I have also read a post here saying that "8D0 407 271 ED" was the original #, which got superseded by 271 BC, then 451 JX.

I have no clue about 417/418F.

If you do look up the part numbers on ebay, you'll find some used ones in decent condition, This is what I plan on doing as I cannot sink any more money in the car with a timing belt change due.

I plan on replacing all boots with GKN boots.

·
Registered
877 Posts
How much do the GKN kits cost? What part number for our cars? I have a b5 01 v6 auto.
Honestly, I forget how much I paid for mine and where I purchased them. I have a '99 1.8T 5-spd. Look in the list of vendors in the information database and look up prices for your model to find the best deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts