Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just in for my 20k svc and they told me I am close to wear bars. I am currently at something like 25k mi. Anyone else successfully burn them up that quick? I am happy about this as now I can justify the upcoming tire expendeture to my CFO(wife).

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Gregor56 said:
I was just in for my 20k svc and they told me I am close to wear bars. I am currently at something like 25k mi. Anyone else successfully burn them up that quick? I am happy about this as now I can justify the upcoming tire expendeture to my CFO(wife).
Your experience is a mirror of mine. I replaced the OE Michelins at about 21,000 miles, and replaced them with the Conti OE's. They are wearing even more quickly, all despite religious attention to tire rotation, tire inflation and front-end alignment. If the Conti's see 19K, I'll be surprised.

·
Registered
159 Posts
sigh life as CEO is meaningless when CFO says: NO...

Gregor56 said:

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
My odometer is coming up on 33k mostly-urban miles. At about 13k miles, I replaced two of my OE Michelins because of road hazard damage. Since I have aluminum wheels, I have not included the spare in the rotation. I just rotated my tires and currently have 6/32" tread depth in front and 5/32" in back. I plan to replace the set before they reach 4/32", believing that the legal limit of 2/32" is unsafe. Put me down for an estimated 35k miles on the original set of tires.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I cleared 50k miles (a mix of urban stop & go and some long highway travel) and still had a good amount of tread on them, but decided to get replacements since we were coming into the rainy season here in L.A.
I've sure heard a variety of tire life stories about these though.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Got 42K on my OE Continentals, rotating just 4 tires every 6K miles. Replaced with the same OE Continentals, using the spare, so I only had to buy 3. Currently have 20K on two of those, and the other two were replaced under road hazard warranties about 10K ago due to picking up screws that could not be safely patched.

Suspect they'll easily go 40 to 50K - the two newest ones may even a little more.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is I seem to have this habit of doubling the posted on/off ramp speeds. They right now are bad enough I will not be letting the cfo drive if there is anything slick on the roads. My real plan is to pick up a set of 17incher for summer tires and use the adelaides for winter rubber. Here in Newark theres plenty of less than 100% reputable "used" rims shops, a side benefit of working close to the hood. I can't see getting more than a total of 30k ish on the stockers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have replaced OE Michelin's at 22K (mostly city driving) with 4/32 and 5/32 thread left, with 10 K rotation and 32 psi all-around. Replacement tires were Falken Ziex ZE329.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I got about 25K miles out of my OE Conti's. I replaced them about a month ago with Toyo Proxes. I believe they were at about 5/32.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
too damn long!! just start slamming into curbs if you really need to justify getting rid of them! i have them on my winter wheels and can't wait for them to die, and FAST. they really do leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way I drive, combined with my psi settings make for a car that rotates, so I wear em fast. Since the ramps I frequent are all biased as I think most are to turning right, if we were in the UK I would suspect it would be inverse. My left front is always the first to go. That position was really bad when I had snow tires on my old integra, with those alignment settings and that rightward on/off ramp bias I burned one up in 8k mi once. I can't slow myself down either I should find a support group other than the SCCA.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I replaced my car's original Michelins at around 26K (shortly after getting the car) only because one of the side walls developed a bulge in it. The tread depth just made the 4/32" required for the vehicle to be sold as CPO at that point. That seems a little early but I'm not sure about your car's use. Actually, for that matter I'm not sure how mine was even used up to that point. :lol:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
2 of the 4 Michelins I had on mine lasted 58k. The other 2 were on the car for 54k and the other 34k.

I found them long lasting. Too long lasting, actually. The tires once past 30k hat terrible wet and snow traction- severe hydroplaning in the rain. In dry they were great, wet they were downright dangerous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dang you guys must go around every corner on two wheels! I just rolled over 100k miles on my 2004 (I drive a lot) and the fronts have reached the wear indicators. I'll rotate those to the back then I can probably go another 5k before the rears reach their indicators. I guess highway miles aren't that hard on tires.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
maroon said:
Dang you guys must go around every corner on two wheels! I just rolled over 100k miles on my 2004 (I drive a lot) and the fronts have reached the wear indicators.
:icon_eek:

Wow - I expect to go through about 5 sets of tires for the same mileage, and I drive like a grandma!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wow, only 25K on Michelins?! I've purchased many sets of Michelins and I they all wore like iron. I wonder if OE Michelins use a softer compound than those you would buy retail?
blmqzjc said:
Got 42K on my OE Continentals, rotating just 4 tires every 6K miles.
My OE Conti's lasted just as long. They still had a little wear left, but slow leaks mandated changing them asap. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Exaltos-they're awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts