Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder what are the steps to change the display of the odometer from miles into KM or even the other way around. I have a vag-com and just can't figure out how to do this.
I have to mention I want to change the miles record and the fuel consumption thing ....:banghead:

2,551 Posts
Changing the country code for the instrument cluster (i think address 17) will change the measuring units.

Unless the cluster has less than 100km, you will not be able to change the mileage value currently stored in the cluster, at least not with vag-com. You will need vag-tacho or similar cable.

Not sure what you mean by fuel consumption thing....

·
Registered
9,106 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I would like ti to be in litres / km ... as this in my opinion is the best way to calculate consumption. So I only need to change the country code. Which should I choose?

Does it change to german language if I select germany? I can't pick Uk obviously as they use the "imperial" system.

P.S: By miles reocrd i didn't mean to change the mileage of the car, just change it from miles into KM's.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I could be wrong but to my knowledge (and I'm not alluding to it being much), you cannot switch the odometer from miles to kilometers or vice versa. You can only change the reading of the odometer after swapping one out for the other under certain circumstances as already mentioned by Mr. [email protected][darmouth].

You can however change the language settings which can be found on the ross-tech website. How you change the metric to imperial I haven't the slightest idea.

Were you ever able to get your CD player problem resolved?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I thought all he had to do was change the country code to Canada and it took care of it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The value is always stored Km anyway even when displayed as miles.
If you want to change a mileage, you have to calculate the Km equivalent and alter that value.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could be wrong but to my knowledge (and I'm not alluding to it being much), you cannot switch the odometer from miles to kilometers or vice versa. You can only change the reading of the odometer after swapping one out for the other under certain circumstances as already mentioned by Mr. [email protected][darmouth].

You can however change the language settings which can be found on the ross-tech website. How you change the metric to imperial I haven't the slightest idea.

Were you ever able to get your CD player problem resolved?

I haven't fixed the bloody CD player... it turned out it was the device itself. Have tried the car with a friends cd changer and it worked - so the wiring is ok. I took the cd changer to a local electronics repair shop - they managed to get it working for 5 minutes - then it dies. I am looking into an AUX adaptor and connect my iPhone to the radio this way. 32gb of music of my IPhone should keep me running.

P.S: köszönöm a segítséget! en is magyar vagyok. [Hungarian]

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The value is always stored Km anyway even when displayed as miles.
If you want to change a mileage, you have to calculate the Km equivalent and alter that value.
On my last B5.5 the dealer took care of this problem with his vag-com in 30 seconds ... I'm sure there is no conversion or part change required. I should be software...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts