Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My odometer is crapping out. The bottom half of of the digits are gone most of the time. And the red LCD center section usually does not work. I'm thinking about a used cluster.

Does anyone know if the odometer memory is stored in the instrument cluster, or the computer?

Thanks,
Keen

·
Registered
355 Posts
Must be in the computer. That's what i read some where. May be in the immo.

Can you fix the cluster? Replace the LED panel

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's just a crappie design, once they go they go. Caused by heat in he car, mine is completely red now. If you get a used one find out if that one has been having the same issues.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is stored in the Cluster. If you have VCDS, you can go to address word 17(instrument panel), adaptation number 9. That will give you the code for miles. It is actually KM with the last digit cut off...

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
The odometer and center display are experiencing two completely different issues. The center LCD fails over time, and will become sensitive to the temps in the car. The odometer's LCD probably just needs re-seated to it's conductive rubber pads. Also, just mirroring the correct response to your question: The mileage is stored in the cluster.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. I can live without the center LCD, but the odometer thing bugs me. I'll pull the cluster and check the connector.

Thanks!
Keen

The odometer and center display are experiencing two completely different issues. The center LCD fails over time, and will become sensitive to the temps in the car. The odometer's LCD probably just needs re-seated to it's conductive rubber pads. Also, just mirroring the correct response to your question: The mileage is stored in the cluster.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the cluster, and took it apart. You were correct. One of the rubber pads just fell off the LCD panel when I pulled it out of the mounting. Can this be glued back on, or do I need to buy another cluster to pull the LCD panel out of?

Thanks,
Keen

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I haven't had a VW cluster apart, but my Fluke multimeter had similar issues.

In the Fluke meter, the glass LCD is held pressed against the rubber pads, which press against the PC board. There's no glue involved. The rubber pads have conductive strips embedded in them--effectively serving as a bunch of conductors to the LCD. The usual technique is to clean the back of the LCD with Windex and the PCB with a gentle (plastic) eraser. Again, I'm not certain the cluster is made this way, but it's likely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were exactly correct. I instead used some contact cleaner as suggested in an earlier post. I put it back together and it's working fine.

It amazes me that the goofy rubber strips with all the little wires actually lines itself up and makes the connections.

Now I just need to address the dying LCD panel. I think I'm gonna try the surface mount resolder. Wish me luck....

Keen

I haven't had a VW cluster apart, but my Fluke multimeter had similar issues.

In the Fluke meter, the glass LCD is held pressed against the rubber pads, which press against the PC board. There's no glue involved. The rubber pads have conductive strips embedded in them--effectively serving as a bunch of conductors to the LCD. The usual technique is to clean the back of the LCD with Windex and the PCB with a gentle (plastic) eraser. Again, I'm not certain the cluster is made this way, but it's likely.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Good luck... If you're not HIGHLY skilled at soldering, you're just gonna wreck it, and that's if you can even find a source for the 1/2 height screen.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
What bob said. I've been soldering for 40 years, and manage a computer repair shop - and I wouldn't try myself, or let my techs work on that. It really requires a SMD rework station, and a lot of practice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts