Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, We had been hearing something rather big (compared to the usual field mouse) climbing the walls. We hadn't thought much of it since it was only a couple times that we heard the scurry sound. Last night, we finally noticed a lot more scratching. As if it was stationary and digging.

I guess the critter was stuck. Finally, a small hole appears in the wall :eek:

This is right behind our Macaws bird cage. So we move the cage and inspect the hole. Now realizing something was serious about wanting out, we proceed to cut a small rectangular hole in the sheetrock.

In the meantime, my Mothers friend is on her way over with a rather large have-a-heart trap to see if there was a way to trap it. We tried waiting and hope that it would come out of the hole and go out the door that was open nearby. Well, nothing happened, so we took a small plastic gerbil cage that I had and proped it on a ladder level with the hole against the wall. And we put some food and water inside and used duct tape to secure it to the wall.

So we waited a while and nothing happened. I went to bed and Mom's friend went home. Within 15 minutes, she screamed for me.

There in the cage was a small baby squirrel. It was probably 2 months or so. It looked weak and lathargic as it flopped around the inside of the cage. At first we think it may have rabies by the way it was acting. But the rehab places say it was probably just weak and tired from all the efforts on escape.

So we watch it and decide not to do anything just yet. Withing a couple minutes, it was back in the wall.

Between last night and this morning, there appeared to be a 2nd one. Only this one was full size and most likely the Mom. So now there's 2 to deal with. :roll:

The only thing a rehab people do is put traps out. Some places charge $400 to trap them and supposedly seal off the enterance they use.

We now we wait and hope it can get into the attic and go in the trap, or come into the cage again so we can try to trap one.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you manage to get them out of the wall?

Any advice is appreciated :bow:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is not having them in my yard. It's having them trapped in the wall. They are in the house and they won't leave. Either they can't get back up the inside of the wall, or they keep coming in and come down to sit in the wall.

Leaving the hole in the wall open so they can just jump out, seems like the logical thing to do. But they can reek havoc once loose inside if they don't go out the door. :nervous:

I think if they don't come into the cage or trap by tomorrow, we may not have a choice but to leave the hole open and hope for the best.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Are you sure they just didnt decide that the inside of your wall was a nice step up from the tree? I wouldnt be so quick to assume that they got trapped there. You mentioned that it went back in the wall. Could be that they like it there. If they got in, I'm sure they can get out. Squirrels are very cognisant of their surroundings & what they decide to go into. Check the outside of your house to see where they could be coming in from. Set the traps, get them out, and seal up their 'entrance'.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
On a serious note:

I had the same problem with a baby squirrel in the attic. I am in NJ and was able to get a trap from the city for free. We didn't need to use the trap because we had the squirrel cornered in a closet in the guest bedroom. We proceded to stuff towels under all the exit doors and opened all the windows in that room. We then opened the closet and the squirrel let himself out one of the windows. I still have the trap if you need it or you can purchase on at homedepot for about 20 bucks.

Exterminators will be expensive and basically they just come in and setup traps. :roll:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the little guy has finally come out and is in the cage. We blocked off the hole so he won't get back into the wall.

Are you sure they just didnt decide that the inside of your wall was a nice step up from the tree? I wouldnt be so quick to assume that they got trapped there. You mentioned that it went back in the wall. Could be that they like it there. If they got in, I'm sure they can get out. Squirrels are very cognisant of their surroundings & what they decide to go into. Check the outside of your house to see where they could be coming in from. Set the traps, get them out, and seal up their 'entrance'.
As much as I would like to believe that the "know" what they are getting into, I have to say I think they made a mistake this time and ended up in a perdiciment. Why would they try to chew through the sheetrock if all they didn't want out because they couldn't get back up the wall. We have a big drop between the attic and the point where they are stuck. It's a 12 ft ceiling in this room. We got a trap and set it in the attic with no results so far. It's difficult to seal off any area up in the attic because there is insulation between the edge of the roof and the floor of the attic.

I had the same problem with a baby squirrel in the attic. I am in NJ and was able to get a trap from the city for free. We didn't need to use the trap because we had the squirrel cornered in a closet in the guest bedroom. We proceded to stuff towels under all the exit doors and opened all the windows in that room. We then opened the closet and the squirrel let himself out one of the windows. I still have the trap if you need it or you can purchase on at homedepot for about 20 bucks.

Exterminators will be expensive and basically they just come in and setup traps.
I am in NJ too :) Probably one of the most woodsy areas. Let's just say it was fun while it lasted, but I am ready for a condo/townhome :roll:

The way our home is, it would be difficult to contain in one room. Actually impossible. It's a pretty open floor plan. We called wildlife removal place that would take the squirrels and seal up the enterances. All for only $400 :eek: I don't think so :suspicio:

We will wait for my BF to get home so we have an extra pair of hands to make sure it stays in the cage while we take it down from the wall.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
picture!

I want to see that little sucker in the cage.

....wait, I hears Cletus a-hollerin. he says its supper time. uhhh, how much'n you want fer the liil feller?

;)

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have some bad news....... :cry:

We did get the baby squirrel out. We had him in a cage and waited patiently for the Mom to come down and show interests when we put it outside. This was Wed. afternoon. Finally after talking to several rescue places, they said it would be best to wait until morning and try again, but try putting the baby in a large box where the baby can't get out, but Mom could get in.......

So I had to go to work and my Mother waited for the Mom squirrel to go outside again. So it gets to be around 12 noon on Wed.

Something was happening to the Mom squirrel. She was inside the wall in the cage we had taped to the wall and she appeared to be dying. :???:

By now, she was collapsed in the cage and my BF came home and put her limp body in the large have-a-heart. Meanwhile, my Mother takes the baby to a nearby rehab place to get it some much needed care.

So the Mother squirrel passes away, but why? Not wanting to take a chance, Mom takes it to the township for a rabies check. There are a few possibilities as to the cause of death.

1st is rabies which we doubt.
2nd is poison, but from where? :???:
3rd and most logical. Too much drywall in her stomach :( She chewed quite a bit of drywall that afternoon. I guess she ingested some and it reeked havoc on her digestive system causing a really bad reaction. Poor thing :cry:

I just hope there isn't a nest of babies somewhere. :nervous: We checked the attic, but didn't see or hear anything.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
A coworker had a squirrel trapped in his basement. The little sucker trashed his place. He was so happy when he finally got it out by using a cage with food in it to trap the squirrel. The funniest thing is that the next day, he was watching his projection tv. There was a line going down the front, upon closer inspection, he found that the squirrel must've peed on the top of the tv when he wasn't around :lol:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ewwwww :eek:h: I wonder if it was a male and maybe he was marking his territory :wink:

We were hoping to capture the Mother, but she had been going outside and we figured she would see the baby. For some reason, she insisted on trying to come in the house and chew around the cage even though she had been outside and we were sure she saw her baby. We just figured she would eventually figure things out, but I guess she was confused. :???:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
trlyka
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing