Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I went about 2 weeks without starting my 2001.5 Passat GLS 1.8T. So then today I went to start it up and it looks like the battery died. I jump started the car using my mom's Jeep Liberty. Then, after I took the car around the block, I was stopped at a red light and all of a sudden the ABS and the yellow exlamation (!) mark goes on and then disappears after a few seconds and my sound system got a bit distorted. Then when I came back into my driveway and was about to park the same thing happened.

What should I do? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pippen

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If your battery voltage was low it was probably too low at idle. The output of your alternator has plenty of power for the car to ignore a dead battery. At idle, the alt output is much lower. My guess is that the battery hadn't been sufficiently charged in the drive around the block and while sitting at idle the low battery voltage caused the problem. Make sure it's charged well, turn off all accessories and drive it longer than around the block. (20 minutes maybe).

Aside from sitting for two weeks did you leave something on that could have drained the battery? I would consider having the battery checked if the problem continues. Just sitting for two weeks, with no drain a good battery should last. :suspicio:

-Cody

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would take out the battery and have it recharged. Unlike generators in very old cars, alternators are not designed to handle recharging the battery and keeping the electricals running simultaneously. Actually, it will handle it okay, but if you do it often, your alternator wil die and cost you a lot of money.

Also, many auto accessory places will recharge it for free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cody251 said:
Aside from sitting for two weeks did you leave something on that could have drained the battery? I would consider having the battery checked if the problem continues. Just sitting for two weeks, with no drain a good battery should last. :suspicio:
Nope, the only thing that was on is the light for the factory alarm and the light for my aftermarket alarm. I'm thinking maybe I need a new battery soon or something.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so this morning I went to start up my car again and it wouldn't start. So I had to re-jump it. I think I should definetly change the battery, what do you guys think? Anything I should try to do before changing the battery?

atomicalex where can I get that battery at?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
pippen said:
Ok so this morning I went to start up my car again and it wouldn't start. So I had to re-jump it. I think I should definetly change the battery, what do you guys think? Anything I should try to do before changing the battery?

atomicalex where can I get that battery at?
YES. You definitely need a new battery.
If this one isn't holding a charge (which it obviously isn't), then it's time for a new one.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you check the fluid level in your battery? --part of every 10k service. I had the same thing happen and found the battery cells dry--lazy mechanic!!! I was tempted to refill and trickle charge but I had already purchased an Otima Yellow top. Expensive but they last forever and don't require servicing as they are filled with gel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Optima is not a gel battery, it is an AGM. They don't last forever either (some people have had quite the opposite experience), but they do have a lower internal impedance.

kananott said:
Did you check the fluid level in your battery? --part of every 10k service. I had the same thing happen and found the battery cells dry--lazy mechanic!!! I was tempted to refill and trickle charge but I had already purchased an Otima Yellow top. Expensive but they last forever and don't require servicing as they are filled with gel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kananott said:
Did you check the fluid level in your battery?
If your talking about that max/min thing on the battery I don't know how to check it. I saw the wording but everything around it was white..no fluid or anything, so I don't know. Maybe someone can help me out here?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Wait -- are the stock batteries not maintenance-free? Mine died this morning and I had to get jumped - drove 30min to work and haven't been outside to try it again. But if the fluid is a 10k check, and I'm at 9600mi, that would explain it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The stock battery is not maintenance free. If you live in a warm area like I do (FL) then you should check the fluid level according to the VW maint schedule--> every 10k for my Passat. I found that out too late. Just unscrew the round top covers--6 I think--and add distilled or deionized water.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.