Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello Fellow VW:thumbup:

I have a 2000 VW Passt B.5 with 87k, I bought the car last May 2009 and still running great, but I have couple of issues and its been there ever since I purchased my passat. I'm getting solid abs light with flashing brake warning sign. So i did some research and I think its my abs module that went bad. Previous to all of this I saw the actual abs harness disconnected. So i plugged it and decided to run ODBII and got a connection error, and could not get passed that. So just recently I purchased the vag-com, haven't received it yet and was wondering whether if im gonna have the same issues just like the ODBII ? Just for the record I do have an aftermarket radio installed, I over read on some forum saying that the stock radio can disable the ODBII. Overall I do have the check engine light, and my flex pipe has a huge leak could that be the cause of the check engine light ?

· Registered
168 Posts
The flex pipe leak will cause a code to be thrown... I cannot remember if this turns on the light - I suppose that would depend how bad the leak is.

The flex pipe failures are common. you can take it to a muffler shop but be sure to pick a good one - get references if possible. It is better if they take the pipe out to repair it but most would probably do or attempt the repair without removing the pipe from the car. make it known you intend to inspect their work (subtly) and you might get a better result.

mine leaked after two trips to the shop and the mechanic torched the heat shield and partially cut the transmission oil pan with his saw ..grr.

don't know about the ABS thing. VAG-COM should be helpful though. on my older '95 car I just cut the wire to the warning light and removed the ABS computer from the car - 'solved' that problem!

· Registered
29 Posts
Unplug the ABS module and try again, should be able to read it then. The ABS module will shut down the K-Line at times when it's bad. If you can communicate with it disconnected and not with it connected that will narrow down a bad ABS module.

· Registered
3,924 Posts
The ABS module can interrupt the connection if it's bad. Unplug it and try again. if it still doesn't work, disconnect your aftermarket HU and give it another go...

And yes, a huge leak in the flex pipe will almost certainly cause the CEL to come on!

· Registered
3,924 Posts
If the "power antenna" lead from the HU is connected to the harness adapter, then you need to cut it. The only wires that should be connected to that adapter are the ground, constant power, switched power, and the 8 speaker leads. Some older harness adapters had provisions for a power antenna lead that actually puts voltage onto the "K-wire", interfering with communications to vag com and code readers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.