Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i dont know, but my question is why. 93 is not good enough? you wont get better performance out of more than 93, just wasting $$$. If you put a bad tank of gas in, it wont hurt to run the tank to 1/2 or 1/4 and fill up with 93 again. just less performance for that tank :wink:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a question about this too...I am driving down to my Parents' lake house next weekend, an I am positive that they don't have higher than 91 octane down there. I have the GIAC 93 octane chip, and don't want anything less than 92 octane (what I usually fill up with here in KC since we don't have 93). So should I buy some octane boost and put it in with each fillup of 91?

What do you think?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Remember that an octane booster that claims an increase of "3 points" means 93 to 93.3. Cheapest way to get a significant increase octane if you don't have access to high octane pump fuel is a gallon or two of toluene.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Swami said:
Peppy, are you having issues with car?
No. No problem with it. I was just curious if it would hurt my car if I was to put it in and wanted to know if i would get better performance.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maniac_productions said:
you can even get 94-octane at certain sunocos...
I have a sunoco next to me that sells race fuel for the track that is about 5 minutes drive from my house. 99.9% octane :D

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Macabre said:
Remember that an octane booster that claims an increase of "3 points" means 93 to 93.3. Cheapest way to get a significant increase octane if you don't have access to high octane pump fuel is a gallon or two of toluene.
Toluene????? :???: Octane rating is the ratio of heptane to isooctane, where does toluene fit in?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Octane rating is a relative measure of how a given fuel compares to a fuel composed of pure isoctane in it's ability to resist detonation. Octane is measured on an specially designed engine, not in a test tube. Different chemicals affect the octane rating in various ways. Tetra-ethyl-lead is one of the best things we've got to improve the octane rating on gasoline but it'll kill your cats and O2 sensors, so we use other things like MTBE, ethanol, and toluene to improve the octane of a fuel. Most commercial octane boosters contain toluene or some form of alcohol/ethanol but in amounts too small to give a big boost. F1 cars during the turbo era ran almost pure toluene. It has an octane rating (AKI) of 114. 2gal toluene + 8gal 93 AKI gasoline = 97.2 AKI fuel.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Where can toluene be bought? In CA 91 octane is the highest available, I would be interested in something to bump up to 93 if it was available and not too expensive.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Paint stores for about $5/gallon. This is usually the point where someone comes in and tells you how toxic the stuff is. Treat it with the same care you would gasoline. Don't drink it! 8)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am somewhat hesitent to put anything bought in a paint store into my gas tank... is there any reason that I would mistake something else for toluene and mess something up? Is there like a certain grade I would need to get?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
bleser, cant you just run the stock program while you are down there. That way you are sure not to have detinations. If you can just run stock, the octane booster wont get you high enough. or just drive easy like grandma and you will be fine

·
Registered
61 Posts
I second the oxygen sensor comment. It put a few cans of octane booster (93+++?)through a, ah.......Mitsubishi product and even though I followed the recommended dosage within reason I needed a new ox sensor within a few weeks. Engine ran great though!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
bleser, cant you just run the stock program while you are down there. That way you are sure not to have detinations. If you can just run stock, the octane booster wont get you high enough. or just drive easy like grandma and you will be fine
That's a good idea. I forgot about that option. I could just switch my GIAC chip out for the stock one for the trip and then switch back when I get back to the city.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
I am somewhat hesitent to put anything bought in a paint store into my gas tank... is there any reason that I would mistake something else for toluene and mess something up? Is there like a certain grade I would need to get?
Just make sure they give you the pure chemical and not a thinner or something that just has some in it. Hot rodders and tuners have been using paint store toluene in their fuel for a long time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
Macabre
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing