Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll here's the story

1998 passat 1.8t tip upchip since 01 vag com always worked .

take the car to my father to do NJ inspection and he fails me because their inspection machine won't talk to my car , says it's not unusual go to state they have newer software or whatever .
go to the state and they fail me. check alldata at dads says check fuse 12,28,29,32,34 . they are all good . take down panel check conector it's fine .now vag com won't connect.

Any idea's :???: :???: :???:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you installed an aftermarket head unit in your car? I have a alpine deck in my 99 Passat and my vag com will not read unless I unhook my stereo and the aftermarket connecter that goes between the deck and the factory harness. I believe it has something to do with the K wire?? Im not sure anyone have any info on this. If you have an aftermarket stereo try disconnecting it and the aftermarket wiring harness should work if thats your problem.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had the same problem here in GA. It sucked because no one at the "Clean AirForce" knew anything about the error code. They kept telling me over and over "your car needs engine repairs sir". I took it to the dealer and they had no problems reading it. They said you want to get it tested here? Sure, it passed no problem. I did read that it may be resolved by itself after doing 500 miles? It basically (from what I was finally told by the dealer) is that the emission system does a loop every couple hundred miles and it finalizes a report and stores it in the computer. If it doesn't finish a loop properly it will not allow new connections to the car. Thus that's why driving it another 500 miles and restesting it might work. This all may be BS I was told but it passed at the dealer. Good luck!

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
That's so whack. They can't even read the readiness cycle? A pox on them! And yes, the emissions system does do a readiness test every once in a while and that is a good thing. It takes a few minutes of the car running to get through the whole cycle - you could probably go for a 10 minute drive and be fine.

If your vag-com won't connect, then you may indeed have a bad port. Check with the dealer for that one. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.