Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could really use some help on my college debt...this could potentially really help the economy by freeing up the little money college grads are making and letting them spend it on goods and services here in the US, rather than paying the bank.

2,551 Posts
So basically if you wait long enough (25 years now, 20 years if new legislation is enacted) to repay your loans, the debt disappears, and you would only be responsible for paying income tax on the forgiven amount....

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have repaid my loan so quickly....! =p

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Why not make it a tax credit like they do with homes, but instead of writing off the interest like a mortgage, they could make the edxucation principle a write off.

Get educated because even if you don't pay for it, it stays with you forever.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I'm listening to the State of the Union right now. There is no getting around the facts. Barack Obama is a fiscal moron. The end.

·
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm listening to the State of the Union right now. There is no getting around the facts. Barack Obama is a fiscal moron. The end.
Thank God someone agrees. This will not happen. Period. But it would be nice, like winning the lottery of getting with twins or inheriting a VW for free or seeing Joe Biden have a heart attack and Nancy Pelosi get shot or Bush crying...all these things would be great, but just aren't happening.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Thank God someone agrees. This will not happen. Period. But it would be nice, like winning the lottery of getting with twins or inheriting a VW for free or seeing Joe Biden have a heart attack and Nancy Pelosi get shot or Bush crying...all these things would be great, but just aren't happening.
Nor should they.

If you take out a loan for post-secondary education, you better have a plan to repay it. It's a loan...not a grant or a gift. If he's really concerned about the cost of education, he'd address the ridiculous increase in tuition which has far exceeded cost of living rates.

·
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you take out a loan for post-secondary education, you better have a plan to repay it. It's a loan...not a grant or a gift. If he's really concerned about the cost of education, he'd address the ridiculous increase in tuition which has far exceeded cost of living rates.
I'm not asking for a gift, but I sure could use a lower cost post-secondary education. After all, it's for the benefit of later life. I have no problem paying for my education, but with my eyes on the exit door in May and the majority of business closing their doors to new employment, how am I supposed to pay for it? Now, I may have chosen the wrong major or I may find a job easily, I don't know. But the way it looks right now (with no job yet) I'm looking at having a degree in Geology for working at McDonald's or some other minimum wage half brained job.

·
Super Moderator
14,054 Posts
Here's what you do.....

Reach down with both hands
Get yourself a big handful of dangly bits
Then take that first step out into the real world with the rest of us

·
9,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no problem stepping into the real world, Urlik. I plan on working, as I've worked through my college career to pay my way, and I've paid 2.5 years off already and I haven't even graduated. I just simply think college costs too much.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I chose to go to college based on a certain cost, never expecting an 80% increase in just 5 years. How can you really plan for something like that?

I'm already preparing myself mentally to talk my future children out of college (as we know it). I'd like them to get their hands dirty during and after high school so they can make a better decisions. Then if they want to take online classes for a degree, or something like that, we can have an educated discussion about it.

I think the current insular format of HS-college-grad school does a disservice to most young people. It sequesters them from productive society and delays their entrance to the real world. If my kids want to be a plumber or mechanic, I'd celebrate that a lot more and would probably incentivize them with a lot of the money that would have otherwise gone to formal education.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,853 Posts
I chose to go to college based on a certain cost, never expecting an 80% increase in just 5 years. How can you really plan for something like that?

I'm already preparing myself mentally to talk my future children out of college (as we know it). I'd like them to get their hands dirty during and after high school so they can make a better decisions. Then if they want to take online classes for a degree, or something like that, we can have an educated discussion about it.

I think the current insular format of HS-college-grad school does a disservice to most young people. It sequesters them from productive society and delays their entrance to the real world. If my kids want to be a plumber or mechanic, I'd celebrate that a lot more and would probably incentivize them with a lot of the money that would have otherwise gone to formal education.
Is your flame suit on?

·
Registered
386 Posts

Well, you will invest more money in college education from the beggining, but over your lifespan you will also make more money , than a regular trademan.
plus your body will be largely intact, not broken from manual labour. I have been on both sides.:thumbup:

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,853 Posts
Well, you will invest more money in college education from the beggining, but over your lifespan you will also make more money , than a regular trademan.
plus your body will be largely intact, not broken from manual labour. I have been on both sides.:thumbup:
Not always the case.

Working through the "college years" and keeping that money offsets some of that. Some people, like my wife and I, were making a salary at 22 that most college kids won't see (especially while paying off loans) until ~30. Both of us had no hard labor in our past and are doing perfectly fine without college.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Really, care to wager on any of those points being a guaranty? The days of college being an fail-safe route to success are far behind us, as they become more and more common place a degree will no longer be the door-opener that it used to be.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts