Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a v-6 glx 2002 passat wagon -- I have done everything to get the lower sensor on bank one off. the sensor socket stripped it. / lock piers would not budge it. heat didn't move it. and a chisel only cut into it. I'm stumped . Have to get it out now and purchase a new one. the other one on bank two was pretty easy. Hers is a pic. how screwed am I.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Yep, been there done it.
It really blows when they don't come out.
I had one of those on my 1998 GLS a little over a year ago.
I used a medium sized pipe wrench. You need one with really sharp teeth so it digs in and grabs and keeps grabbing harder the more you try and turn it.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,112 Posts
Too late now, but for future reference they sell a specialized "O2 sensor socket" that engages the hex on all sides (there's a cutout for the cable). Never failed to get a sensor out unstripped using one of those

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too late now, but for future reference they sell a specialized "O2 sensor socket" that engages the hex on all sides (there's a cutout for the cable). Never failed to get a sensor out unstripped using one of those
well ended up taking it down to a shop close by-- hope they have better luck and don't charge a mint. but now i'll have to buy a new o2 sensor . the OEM parts are outrages . and hard to find a good cheaper one on line. for a down stream bank 1 -- sensor 2. they keep calling them left or right but not sure they are pertaining to an american model or european model. on a european they would be just the opposite.. bank 1 would be on the left side would it not - also when they are saying left side are they sitting in the car or are they standing in front of the car its all pretty crazy. Also are the o2 downstreams both the same on each side. ??? all seems a bit crazy to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well ended up taking it down to a shop close by-- hope they have better luck and don't charge a mint. but now i'll have to buy a new o2 sensor . the OEM parts are outrages . and hard to find a good cheaper one on line. for a down stream bank 1 -- sensor 2. they keep calling them left or right but not sure they are pertaining to an american model or european model. on a european they would be just the opposite.. bank 1 would be on the left side would it not - also when they are saying left side are they sitting in the car or are they standing in front of the car its all pretty crazy. Also are the o2 downstreams both the same on each side. ??? all seems a bit crazy to me.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The OEM or Genuine VW/Audi downstream (as they are called) o2 sensors are left / right specific with color coding.
Green is for the right rear sensor.
Brown is for the left rear sensor.
Black is for the left & right upstream sensors.
These are usually ridiculously priced, unless you just happen to score on fire sale somewhere.

Bosch is a common one used for 'universal' replacement.
There has been much debate as to the reliability of the universal ones.
The biggest problem with the universal ones, the wires are made of stainless steel and it requires using the special splice connectors (supplied when purchased).
Stainless steel is not a good conductor of electricity, so a good sound reliable connection is an absolute must.
The Bosch universal ones are much cheaper.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
When they say left or right, it's the same across the board. Left is ALWAYS the left side as your are sitting in the seat. Same for the right side. Left and right does not change even it's a European model.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Yes they do make these sockets. Buying a good quality one is key.
I bought cheapo one when I had my 2004 V6 GLX. Broke that socket into 3 pieces.
Then I went and bought a 'real' socket (can't remember for sure, think it was GearWrench) paid like $50 for it. It's been a life saver.

Side note:
Most of my tools are still back in WI. Sure wish I would've had that socket for my 1998 V6 GLS last year when I changed out the rear o2 sensors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When they say left or right, it's the same across the board. Left is ALWAYS the left side as your are sitting in the seat. Same for the right side. Left and right does not change even it's a European model.
so in my model - bank 1 is the right side. passenger sitting in my car./ bank 2 is driver side. so this is what I'm reading on the o2 sites so are the down streams the same type or different from each other. some site say they fit up or down stream head scratcher
Audi VW Oxygen Sensor - Bosch 1K0998262AB
A4, A4 Quattro, A6, A6 Quattro, Allroad Quattro, & more

Save for later

2 Reviews

Available
In Stock
Price each: $90.53
QTY
Add to cart
Make sure this fits your car

• 2002 Volkswagen Passat
    Position: Downstream, 1710mm length
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
    Position: Upstream, 1710mm length
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • Review fitment notes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so in my model - bank 1 is the right side. passenger sitting in my car./ bank 2 is driver side. so this is what I'm reading on the o2 sites so are the down streams the same type or different from each other. some site say they fit up or down stream head scratcher

Save for later

2 Reviews

Available
In Stock
QTY
Add to cart

• 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • Review fitment notes
it's the same damn model number. it fits all over the place

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The OEM or Genuine VW/Audi downstream (as they are called) o2 sensors are left / right specific with color coding.
Green is for the right rear sensor.
Brown is for the left rear sensor.
Black is for the left & right upstream sensors.
These are usually ridiculously priced, unless you just happen to score on fire sale somewhere.

Bosch is a common one used for 'universal' replacement.
There has been much debate as to the reliability of the universal ones.
The biggest problem with the universal ones, the wires are made of stainless steel and it requires using the special splice connectors (supplied when purchased).
Stainless steel is not a good conductor of electricity, so a good sound reliable connection is an absolute must.
The Bosch universal ones are much cheaper.
don't know anything about color coding. all I know it's a 4 wire bank 1 sensor 2.. plus some say they fit upstream and down left or right what gives with that like this part.

Save for later

2 Reviews

Available
In Stock
QTY
Add to cart

• 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • 2002 Volkswagen Passat
  • Review fitment notes
are downstream the same for both sides -- are up streams the same -- or is it the amount of wiring involved

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
These are where the connectors are.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Years ago when are cars were much newer, universal o2 sensors were very hard to come by if not impossible.
Now-a-days Bosch, NGK, Denso and others have made a universal fit o2 sensor. The Bosch universal sensor comes with a black colored connector.
It should work in any location. If you use the universal connector, you have pay extra attention to the location of the sensor and what connector it goes to.
That's why they made the color coded ones, for plug & play installation.

If you should get the connections wrong, it won't blow up your engine or anything but it will throw a CEL instantly.

Reactions: chipsouthard

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Years ago when are cars were much newer, universal o2 sensors were very hard to come by if not impossible.
Now-a-days Bosch, NGK, Denso and others have made a universal fit o2 sensor. The Bosch universal sensor comes with a black colored connector.
It should work in any location. If you use the universal connector, you have pay extra attention to the location of the sensor and what connector it goes to.
That's why they made the color coded ones, for plug & play installation.

If you should get the connections wrong, it won't blow up your engine or anything but it will throw a CEL instantly.
OK now I see what you mean by color coded. thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you very much for clearing this up. why can't they sell parts as bank 1 or bank 2. - makes no sense when that is how you identify the engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so If the o2 sensor is on BANK 1 passenger side. number 2 sensor - lower side . Then that would actually be right side . sitting in car. which from pic would be the green connector.????.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts