Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28,451 Posts
My Dad worked with many people who died at Cantor-Fitzgerald as a risk management advisor. He had a difficult time with the deaths as he kept in touch with many of the people he had worked with over the years. My nephew was in one of the other WTC buildings (#5 I think) and was running for his life when the 2nd plane hit. He made it home to my sister's house in NJ after 2 days without contact.

I watched the towers be built as a kid from NJ and I watched on TV as the jets hit while I was working at DFW. It was sickening then and still is now.

Paul.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,511 Posts
At the time of the 9/11/2001 attacks I was riding commuter rail to work when the conductor announced what was happening. We had bought the Passat wagon, our first imported car, about 8 months earlier, and I had not yet discovered this group (and how much I would rely on it to avoid a lot of expenditure and grief with the car). Although I did not know anyone who worked in the towers, as I read the memorial tributes over the ensuing weeks, I felt as though I had lost a number of valued "friends I never met."

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Wow, I can't believe it's been 15 years.
Life's inexorable ride into the future. 15 years ago 09/11/2016 seemed like fantasy.
I heard it reported in a science publication that 9-11 was the last great catastrophe not to be recorded on cell phones. Yes, there were camcorders running though quite by fiat and chance. But by 2002 cell phones started adding cameras.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, couldn't get the site to recover my password (YoSteve) so I created this login. And sorry for the bump again. I'm glad to see passat world still in existence.

Well, it's been 20 years, and I still keep Richard and his family in my mind.
Mrs. Gabrielle posted and thanked us for giving him a hobby he loved.
I just googled him and found this (no clue why I never saw before) talking about his souped up 'baby p'.

Richard Gabrielle

Car Vehicle Photograph Wheel Tire

Also, I lost the GLX in Houston's memorial day flood in 2015 :/
She was going strong, not even at 100k.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone 20 years later.
God bless.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Hey guys, couldn't get the site to recover my password (YoSteve) so I created this login. And sorry for the bump again. I'm glad to see passat world still in existence.

Well, it's been 20 years, and I still keep Richard and his family in my mind.
Mrs. Gabrielle posted and thanked us for giving him a hobby he loved.
I just googled him and found this (no clue why I never saw before) talking about his souped up 'baby p'.

Richard Gabrielle

View attachment 104442

Also, I lost the GLX in Houston's memorial day flood in 2015 :/
She was going strong, not even at 100k.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone 20 years later.
God bless.
Yo Steve,

It's funny how the 20th anniversary brought back a flood of memories. I joined PassatWorld just a few months after 9/11 and I remember the discussions about Richard Gabrielle from then.

Some things I've forgotten in the intervening years. Our company worked with Aon in the early 2000's. I met a guy form Aon that was working at the WTC when the first bombing (truck bomb in the underground garage) took place in the 1990's. Having experienced that probably saved his life on 9/11. After the first tower was struck, he immediately evacuated from the second tower. As I understood it, there were PA announcements to stay in place, which he ignored. I can't remember his name, but it had profoundly affected him that he survived.

Good to see your name. I still have some of the microfibre towels I bought from you!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts