Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's funny I used to be on here every moment I could get. Today, 5 years later, I still have my car (and still love it!), I still keep it detailed. But today as we remember where we were 5 years ago, I remember this as well as all the other rememberences...

5 years ago we lost a fellow B5'er. We had a check-in thread for all the B5'ers and unfortunately one person didn't check in. I remember thinking, I would have been probably checking the threads if I were sitting there in my office in the WTC, maybe checkin the group buys for my next new mod.

God bless all who were affected, including Richard S. Gabrielle (bond007goldfinger).

YoSteve

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I still remember Richard's wife posting here a few weeks after the collapse. I hope she's found some peace or comfort over the years.

PW/CB5 has always held a special place for me, and, I'd assume, also for many of the members old & new. It's good to remember our past, even if the memories are painful.

Let's hope we never have the need for a check-in thread again. Ever.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
With 20,000+ members it'd be damn hard to keep track of. I wish I would have been around back in those days, but I'm glad to be here now :)

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
I was at the memorial GTG for Rich and met his wife and saw his car. I got some pictures at home that I'll try to post up later.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I was at the memorial GTG for Rich and met his wife and saw his car. I got some pictures at home that I'll try to post up later.
ditto - there were lots of us there that day from the NE. Pokey and I played follow the leader down to the GTG. Rich's B5 was sweet, and showed me just how trick a B5 could look in Black Magic. One ClubB5er came up from Maryland! kudos again to passaturbonium for organizing that GTG...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just noticed this post. I just started another thread for him as well.
I didn't want thjis day to go by without anyone acknowledging a fellow enthusiast.
Thanks for posting up Steve. RIP Richard.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I remember. And I remember reading about this after I joined. :(

NEVER FORGET

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm doin the mega bump

Hey guys, it's been forever.

My how time flies. The Passat is 11, soon to be 12 and still looks pristine ;) I'm still doin my thing, sending out towels.

To all you more recent folk, we had a member on here that tragically perished on 9/11. Puts it in perspective quite a bit. I don't know anyone personally who died in the tragedies, but you think about how Richard loved his car like we all did. I'm sure he was driving his shiny Passat with pride up and down NYC. We all remember him; we all remember 9/11. God bless Richard and his family and loved ones.

I hope on this day, everyone remembers how lucky we are and how short life is; especially when life get's tough. I'm so glad you guys are still trekkin on here. I may not post, but I'm still around, still lovin my Passat.

It's funny I used to be on here every moment I could get. Today, 5 years later, I still have my car (and still love it!), I still keep it detailed. But today as we remember where we were 5 years ago, I remember this as well as all the other rememberences...

5 years ago we lost a fellow B5'er. We had a check-in thread for all the B5'ers and unfortunately one person didn't check in. I remember thinking, I would have been probably checking the threads if I were sitting there in my office in the WTC, maybe checkin the group buys for my next new mod.

God bless all who were affected, including Richard S. Gabrielle (bond007goldfinger).

YoSteve

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
God Bless Rich Gabriel

He was the reason I stopped lurking and finally joined ClubB5 (now PW). My official join date is Dec. '01. However, the ClubB5 home page was a full page picture of Rich and his very clean Passat soon after 9/11. That's what got me to join.

I remember that very wet, chilly Sept. GTG in West Haven at Chic's. Gosh it was raining hard. Mrs. Gabriel stopped by, had some very nice words to all of us, then we all drove as one to the 9/11 memorial at Savin Rock. Jay, do you have any of those group pictures anywhere? Scott? Weren't you there? There was a strong NY/NJ contingent if I remember. I also remember a group of Honda rice burners buzzing us all afternoon. Pathetic display, just pathetic.

IIRC it was Passaturbonium that was the organizing spark for that GTG.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
ditto - there were lots of us there that day from the NE. Pokey and I played follow the leader down to the GTG. Rich's B5 was sweet, and showed me just how trick a B5 could look in Black Magic. One ClubB5er came up from Maryland! kudos again to passaturbonium for organizing that GTG...
I have this bad habit of NOT reading the entire thread before I post something that was already ackowledged earlier.

Rich's B5 was sharp. Jay, there's a lot of Rich's influence in your ride. And you are right about Pokey's car. Very sharp.

·
27,883 Posts
Steve, there are loads of us still around. Mike, you are right - passatturbonium organized that GTG, and we all went on a ride to the memorial there in West Haven that day.

and yes, black B5s are still the sexiest ever, as well as the most reflective. when I've washed, clayed, removed swirls, and then polished and waxed it, does it ever look awesome.

unfortunately, the link to Rich's car seems to be lost.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

·
27,883 Posts
Rich was mentioned this eve on WTNH. He was a resident of West Haven, CT, and was the sole West Haven resident who died at the WTC collapse.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I lived in East Hartford at the time and if I was a passat guy then I definitely would have been on here. Sadly, we lost a couple of members on some other sites I still belong to.

As well, I was teaching MCSE/CCNA school over in Watertown and indeed lost a few students due to them having to leave to take care of family. One student was just over 20 and had to go to NY to take care of his cousins because he was the only adult left in the family and felt the obligation to keep them together.

God bless all who took the reigns and kept their family moving forward, God speed to all those who perished, and rot in hell the dirty bastards who dreamed this up and carried it out, and you will get yours those who cheered.

I hope this Rich's family has found peace. I was taught that your impact on this world is revealed in the quality of the people who remember and keep your memory alive. By what I've seen around here, Rich's impact was great.

AJ

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, I can't believe it's been 15 years.

We still remember Richard and all those affected.

God bless,
Steve

Hey guys, it's been forever.

My how time flies. The Passat is 11, soon to be 12 and still looks pristine
I'm still doin my thing, sending out towels.

To all you more recent folk, we had a member on here that tragically perished on 9/11. Puts it in perspective quite a bit. I don't know anyone personally who died in the tragedies, but you think about how Richard loved his car like we all did. I'm sure he was driving his shiny Passat with pride up and down NYC. We all remember him; we all remember 9/11. God bless Richard and his family and loved ones.

I hope on this day, everyone remembers how lucky we are and how short life is; especially when life get's tough. I'm so glad you guys are still trekkin on here. I may not post, but I'm still around, still lovin my Passat.

YoSteve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts