Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to move into South Boston. I am relocating with my job.
I am 24 years old and moving with my girlfreind.
Anyone have any tips or advice.
Where to live?
What to look for?
Know anyone I can talk to or have an apt available.

and yes, my Passat is coming with me!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sweeeet!!! We need more hot Vdubs in Bean town.... :thumbup:

I hope you have deep pockets.... :lol: Just kidding... Living in Boston is not cheap!! A one bedroom in southie will run you between $900 -$1100. A two bedroom will run you $1500 - $2200. Btw... Why did you choose Southie? There are bunch of nice areas around Boston, don't get me wrong southie is really nice and very convient place to live. I moved here 10 years ago from LI and I have no desire to move back.

Check out:

http://boston.craigslist.org/aap/
http://www.bostonapartments.com/harbor.htm

Hope to see ya in the area.... :thumbup:

By the way Boston roads SUCK!! Don't say you weren't warned!! :lol:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I grew up south of boston. Rent wise you may be better off looking just outside the city in Quincy...still can ride the T into the city but rent is WAY cheaper. Plus parking in southie is a terrible situation especially during the winter with snowplowing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
As a transplant from NY let me give you my top 10 tips.

1. Get a good map. Throw out the idea of orderly, logical grids. Roads here make no sense.

2. Don't depend on the map, because with the Big Dig, things change on a regular basis.

3. When entering a rotary, DO NOT STOP, you will either never get in and hold us up behind you or we will hit you. When in the rotary DO NOT STOP to let others in. Don't ask me how it all works out, but it does.

4. Green means go. Boston pedestrians are just as nutty as NY ones. If they are following the red Freedom Trail, they're not nutty (unless they are visiting Yankee fans), they're oblivious. Either way. green still means go.

5. Yellow means go faster.

6. If you want a cup of coffee and pass a Dunkin Donuts, don't worry there's another one around the corner.

7. If you shovel out the parking spot it's yours, just put out a chair to save it. Do not take someone elses spot then post "Can you believe what someone did to my Passat?" ClubB5er or not, I'm siding with the townie.

8. Cambridge is all "One Ways".

9. If you want to know the weather, just look up at the light on the Pru. Each color symbolizes a weather condition. While you're looking up, just check the sky.

10. If you do move to Southie, leave the Yankee hat behind.

·
Registered
628 Posts
GaltLine said:
As a transplant from NY let me give you my top 10 tips.

1. Get a good map. Throw out the idea of orderly, logical grids. Roads here make no sense.

2. Don't depend on the map, because with the Big Dig, things change on a regular basis.

3. When entering a rotary, DO NOT STOP, you will either never get in and hold us up behind you or we will hit you. When in the rotary DO NOT STOP to let others in. Don't ask me how it all works out, but it does.

4. Green means go. Boston pedestrians are just as nutty as NY ones. If they are following the red Freedom Trail, they're not nutty (unless they are visiting Yankee fans), they're oblivious. Either way. green still means go.

5. Yellow means go faster.

6. If you want a cup of coffee and pass a Dunkin Donuts, don't worry there's another one around the corner.

7. If you shovel out the parking spot it's yours, just put out a chair to save it. Do not take someone elses spot then post "Can you believe what someone did to my Passat?" ClubB5er or not, I'm siding with the townie.

8. Cambridge is all "One Ways".

9. If you want to know the weather, just look up at the light on the Pru. Each color symbolizes a weather condition. While you're looking up, just check the sky.

10. If you do move to Southie, leave the Yankee hat behind.
WOW!!! GaltLine hit it right on the nose!! :lol: LMAO GREAT ADVISE!!

Point 3 should be taken very seriously!! If you're in the circle you have the right of way and NEVER EVER STOP to let someone in unless you want to get rear-ended!! The one place not to be courteous :D Every man for himself!! :nervous:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Other than Quincy what other area's do you recomend.
Allston/Brighton
Sommerville
Charlestown
Cambrige

The guys I work with recomended Southie because of the conveinence

I definately look foward to moving up there. I am a big DIYer and moving into an apt is going to be tough for me. At home I have my two car garage with my 6 ft tool chest and compressor and all.. Big change for me

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am originally from Medford and was home last week for my brother's wedding. When I was in town, I was reminded of all the reasons why I haven't moved back - traffic, congestion, and the crushing weight of humanity. Did I also mention that the housing costs are ridiculous!

Other than being closer to my family, I could find no compelling reason to move back to the Boston area. I would consider western Mass or the Cape but I don't think I could find equivalent paying job.

·
Registered
628 Posts
AngeloB5.5 said:
Other than Quincy what other area's do you recomend.
Allston/Brighton
Sommerville
Charlestown
Cambrige

The guys I work with recomended Southie because of the conveinence

I definately look foward to moving up there. I am a big DIYer and moving into an apt is going to be tough for me. At home I have my two car garage with my 6 ft tool chest and compressor and all.. Big change for me
If you looking for a big place southie is definetly not for you. It would cost you a fortune. You need to check out Quincy, Braintree, Sommerville, Malden, and Medford. I don't want to sound racist but certain parts of Everett, and Lynn are lets just say a little shady... :nervous: The same goes for parts of Dorchester and Roxbury. If you drive a nice car those towns would be my last choice unless you have a private parking lot.

Charlestown and most parts of Cambridge are expensive. Seriously you need to look at craigslist.com to understand what I'm talking about. Its hard for me to tell you where to live because one I don't know you and two I don't know how much you plan on spending every month for rent and parking. Yes parking in some apt. complex is extra and can run you between $100 to $200 a month on top of your rent!! Allston and Brighton are very affordable because they are college towns. Lots of BU and BC students in the area.

What town is your job located in? Do you plan on driving to work or taking public transportation. The public transportation system is very good. Parking in downtown Boston is roughly $250-350 a month!! If you have to take the Mass Pike don't forget to figure in tolls. Speed pass is your friend!!

Good Luck....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My office is in Downtown Boston in the Financial District.
I plan on taking public transportation and would love offstreet parking and a garage would be better

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.