Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The suspense was killing me. After reading about this little system shortly after they came out with a "complete kit" I wondered what it was all about?

Well, doing my internet research just like every good boy should, I found my way to SRT-4 forums, WRX forums, and EVO forums. What was the general consensus? Were people REALLY seeing gains with this kit?

Mostly all I found were questions, and ALOT of debate. It took me months to weed through the garbage that people were posting about these kits that use N2O or CO2 to "super freeze" the Intercooler, condensing the intake air allowing for power gains. You all know, suck squeeze, bang, blow. Its just a whole lot nicer when it sucks freezing ambient air in a 85 degree day!

Some of you are wondering at this point, well, how is it that nitrous doesn't land into the intake stream somewhere? In truth, the biggest gains seen from this kit are on cars wtih an OPEN AIR FILTER. (Duh) I'm sure the Honda that NX tested this kit on had the biggest air intake WIDE OPEN, sitting precariously close to the actual nitrous fogger, with a fan blowing most of the nitrous twords the intake, not the FMIC. (They made a claim of 52 WHP gained in their website.)

Okay, enough of the history lesson, if you clicked on this review, you probably know what this thing does anyway.

I must give a shout out to Jordan @ EVOMS, who has a MKIV jetta, and the exact same FMIC as me. A Evolution Motorsports core of course!
It was he who pushed me over the edge to get the kit. "The proof is in the pudding" He told me, and with a pick up of close to 30 WHP, and 30 Ft/lbs of torque, I STILL was skeptical.

I won't clutter this review with technical installation BS, as we can all ask questions later. Though I will say although I didn't install it myself, it was WELL worth the 150 bucks I paid to get it installed. It took most of the day to get everything "perfect"

Bottom line is this. This thing works. It obviously works better in warmer weather, than when the ambiant air is a nice 65 degrees or so.

I still have a competely stock airbox, so that further validifies my hypothesis that SOME nitrous is being sucked into the intake. Thats why my numbers below arn't as high as Jordan's (Who I think has a EVOMS intake)

Both runs in 4th gear. The Halo was turned on with the second run, 15 minutes later. Notice the A/F reading really doesn't change. If this was a 18 WHP DRY shot fogger into the intake, I'm positive you'd see a slightly more lean condition (as I'm already slightly lean, that would be a bad thing)

How does it feel on the street? Well, you know how to take a drive in a normally hot season, and its unusually cool outside, you might say to yourself "man, my car is running wonderfully!" Well, thats just I feel, although I can say that @ 88 degrees! (highest temp so far this year)

Here are the final installed pictures.

Go baby Go!

The Stealth Mounted Location (Yeah, I know I need a heater)

One Ring To Rule Them All!

Let the questions begin!

_steven

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
So since there is no nitrious going into the motor, is there any possible damage to the motor?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99blackB5 said:
just hope your ass end doesnt get rear ended :)
Yeah, since I took my spare out, the nitrous bottle is now integral to the structural support of my car! :nervous:

5150- You could spray nitrous until you're blue in the face, and all you'd be doing is hurting your wallet. @ $4.00 a pound here, N2O is NOT nearly as cheap as CO2, however, IF somehow the CO2 found its way inside the intake stream, the engine would not like that, plus spraying CO2 on an alumnimum FMIC for extended periods over time wouldn't be good on the metal. Ask atomicalex why. :)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
277 lbs of torque?!! :puke: :eek:h: :thumbup: :bow:

Hot damn. Ive had my FMIC and NX kit sitting here waiting to be installed and now that youve gone and done it, Ive gotta try and get them on next week!

Thats great! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I was thinking of doing something similar to this but fabricating it myself an instead of using No2 or Co2, I was thinking of using water to create the mist :eek:h: but I dont know if it would be a waste of time even thinking of it :suspicio: If anybody has some insight on this, let me know if it is a good idea or I am just plain :crazy: :weirdo: . thanks

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
peppy said:
I was thinking of doing something similar to this but fabricating it myself an instead of using No2 or Co2, I was thinking of using water to create the mist :eek:h: but I dont know if it would be a waste of time even thinking of it :suspicio: If anybody has some insight on this, let me know if it is a good idea or I am just plain :crazy: :weirdo: . thanks
Peppy, a few guys at the vortex have fabricated a water misting system for their stock SMICs. I don't think I've seen a H2O mister for a FMIC, but it can be done fairly easily with a couple dollar parts. Here is a link, and will probably inspire you to complete your mod!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1309925

Dublife- Stop wasting time, and do it! :D

Wow, you'd think more people would be interested in this type of mod. Alot of you folks have FMICs, and I only have a handful of replies. Sad really, considering I'm only the second person to do this on this forum, and Edsel (Zoom) the first clubB5er to do it never even tried it out before he sold the car! :mad:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Well, props to you for getting it all installed and actually using it. Im sure that of people really get the notion that its something that can be used highly on those hot Cali, Florida, Arizona, Texas days.... a few more people will begin to buy these. I know that if I had a FMIC, this would be something that I would need to install.

Steve

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, you're right Steve, of my 26 years of life, I've only spent about 4 in a state that snows. (NJ) Everything else has been here in Texas, or My home in Florida, so the appeal might not be as universal as I thought.

As far as you NOT having a FMIC, c'mon man, in the durty souf it gets hot hot hot! And summer is rapidly approaching :wink:

I guess I've come to the point in B5 ownership where I'm swamped with the sea of bolt-on mods, and I require something unique or new to satisfy my addiction, strangely enough I'm not expecting a pat on the back from the forum when I go big turbo in a few months either. I imagine thats the difference between us guys who think about neat new stuff to do, and the casual modder. You know?

I wish sigs were back, because mine would be:

"This car might not win any beauty contests, but the only part you'll be seeing in motion is the rear, anyway!" :lol:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
peppy said:
Peppy-
here are a couple of links I dug up when I first heard about the NX mister. I had heard about the water misters before but not the NX. NX obviously works wonders. I don't know what kind of gains the water mister will give you. Obviously not as much as the NX but every bit helps.

http://www.dawesdevices.com/water.html

http://darklightning.com/gi/wi.htm

and a link to the thread
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73683&highlight=

Steve-
How long does that bottle last you. Is the button an activation switch that leaves the spray on until you turn it off or do you hold it down. And :thumbup: for the new mod. Youre car is killer. Ever think of going to the track to get some times (just for sh!ts and giggles if nothing else)

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Those sites you listed are for water injection, which is a whole lot different from intercooler sprayers/misters. Water sprayers/misters will help keep heat soak away but won't give you the super cooling effect that letting CO2/N2O (or other highly compressed gas) decompress in front of your IC will.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Although Mac is right about the anti-heatsoak, I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from making a water mister system. I think that is actually pretty cool. and water is just about the cheapest "cooling" element there is!

The intake charge will remain close to the same temp with a H2O system installed. You won't be seeing any "gains" however, its just another step in preventing heat soak.

Michael - Here is my experience so far. Bear with me:

My first bottle didn't last AT ALL.
We set up the system, tested for leaks (2- 3 second blasts) I hit it once pretty hard on the way home (about 5 seconds, through 2nd and 3rd gear) Once more that night to show my friend what it looked like(another 3 second blast)
The next day I went for a ride, hit it for another 5 second run. Then when I showed someone else, they said, um, its making noise, but I don't see any cloud of puffy nitrous. I said, damn, that was quick. I closed the line, purged it, took off the bottle and tried to weigh it (but i couldn't find a scale)

FYI a full 10 lb nitrous bottle weighs 24.5 lbs, and of course an empty one weighs 14.5 lbs.

I cracked the bottle about a 3 turns and nothing but compressed air came out (with a mild N20 content i'm sure) for about 3 seconds, then I opened the bottle about 1/2 way, and about 30 seconds of SUB ZERO freaking nitrous shot out into my driveway. This was my first experience with nearly burning myself from nitrous. :lol: It was so cold that the air along the path of the release valve froze repeatedly for a few inches before falling to the ground!

So anyway, I wondered why I got so much nitrous for so long after my HALO turded out. I realized that it wasn't a very hot day, and the pressure IN the bottle probably was starting to drop, thus, the "hit" would not be nearly as "hard" So, I called NX and asked them if that was correct, and they said it was.

So, I need a pressure gauge and heater. A remote bottle opener would be nice, but I'm waiting for the turbo purchase first.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Macabre said:
Those sites you listed are for water injection, which is a whole lot different from intercooler sprayers/misters. Water sprayers/misters will help keep heat soak away but won't give you the super cooling effect that letting CO2/N2O (or other highly compressed gas) decompress in front of your IC will.
Obviously not nearly the cooling effect of NX. Thats why I said that in my first post. Peppy asked about water misters and those sites do show you how to make a misting system. weather you mist into the intake or outside on the intercooler, the system is basically the same. They do talk about external misting systems for intercoolers:

"What if my engine has an intercooler?: We do not suggest injecting water before the turbo in an intercooled application, as most of the water will condense out at the intercooler. However, our system works great as an auxillary sprayer to increase the efficiency of your intercooler. In this application, water (add ice if you wish) is sprayed on the exterior of the intercooler to carry away the heat. Simple, easy, and effective. Subaru WRX rally cars use the same type of sprayer on their intercooler (but I bet it cost more)."

He asked for information about using water misting. So I thought I would try and help out. :roll:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Steve-
So you do or do not have to hold the button down. i.e. do you have to be in gear and move your hand from the shifter to the button and hold it down. Then release the button to shift gears and move your hand back to the button if you want to mist more or.... do you press to turn the mist on and it stays on till you hit the button again to turn it off. Sorry for beating a dead horse

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hahah, no man, Its my fault, I accedently neglected the question the first 6 times. :oops:

The nitrous only sprays when the button is pushed. IMO thats a good thing. The volume of expelled nitrous is INCREDIBLE. Imagine about 16 ports of exit in the halo. if you sprayed BETWEEN shifts (as in a push once to turn on, push again to turn off) you would probably exhaust your bottle on ONE 1/4 mile pass! :shock:

Also, notice where the button is. Its big, and its blue, and its right by the shifter. 8)

Peppy- I found another link, this is to a site that has a pre-fabbed mister kit, check it out:

http://www.20vt.com/volkswagen_intercoolers.htm

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
well I guess it's been so long since I posted anything on this that people have forgotten, but yes, a water misting system can be built and used on either the stock SMIC or on a FMIC. I have done both. The FMIC setup is obviously more effective. It took me about 4 or 5 months of trying out different ways to make this happen and a lot of different pumps died horrible deaths trying to keeps up with the demand or the pressure needed. The two most important things in the system are the pump and the nozzles. A good quailiy pump is a must. The one I use is a commercial grade unit that puts out 32 psi max. The nozzles are the next part that has to be of some quaility. I tried to make use of al sorts of garden type spray nozzles and none of them worked to satisfaction. They all sprayed too large of sroplets to be effective at all. Remember, it's called water "misting." The water needs to be reduced to the smallest droplet size as possible to be of any effect. Sure, hosing down you IC with a garden hose is also effective, but how is that possible all the time? It's not. So the best way to get the water mister to work properly is to have the nozzles only spray a very fine mist. The air coming through the heat sink that is an IC is cooled because of the water in the air. Also, any mist that lands on the core has an evaprative cooling effect.

Here's a shot of my system working on my FMIC shortly after installation of the IC.

The sprayers are working in this shot. You just have to look closely to see the mist. :) I have a dash mounted momentary switch that fires it off and a remote, adjustable, thermostaticly controlled switch that fires it off automatically

The system does work and can be cheap, but is in way compairable to spraying compressed gases on the IC core.

One question about the Nitrous spray though, what is the long term effect on the aluminium IC core being heated and cooled so rapidly? Any data that shows that the metal isn't fatigued too quickly? That would be my one worry. Well, that and having to pay that much to have the bottle filled all the time. :roll:

Neat though! :thumbup: :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts